Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I like the concept of curing shrimp or fish chunks to get them to stay on the hook longer. Are there types of salt that work fine, others that don’t?

I’ve heard not to use iodized salt... because the trace of iodine scent can turn off fish? Anything else in common salt that might repel fish?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Interesting, from NZ.

" ............a lot of salters on the net get theirs from a pool-supply shop. This is incredibly cheap: a bit over $10 for 25kg "
Wondering about water softener salt. Its pretty cheap too.

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have tried once seemed very tedious and more time consuming ….maybe I should try again ?

I have used the bait rubber bands some seem faster and easier to use.
"Ghost Cocoon Bait Thread features a translucent fibre that just about disappears when the bait is immersed in water. Ghost Cocoon is virtually invisible when applied to bait. Ghost Cocoon is made with many ultra thin fibres, it wraps the bait like a spiders web - making it virtually invisible in the water."

You may want to search on
Ghost Cocoon Elasticized Bait Thread
or
Ghost Cocoon Bait Thread

The youtube videos that I have seen do not seem to be time consuming events. When I searched and found the above video I had forgotten that cocoon was critical to the search.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Interesting. I've been recently searching for similar techniques.
Here is a related thread .... on thread. :)

I was looking for a "sock or tube" type loose knit elastic netting but only see that in the PVA dissolving material.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I've been doing this for a couple of years. Take a jar with a good lid and fill it with HOT water. Dissolve as much non-iodized salt in the jar was as possible. Rinse the outside of the jar to clean any salt off. Place it in the freezer overnight. It will not freeze because of the salt. Put your leftover bait in the jar in the freezer. The cold water preserves the smell and the salt cures it. The next time you go fishing you will have bait that is cured but still smells fresh. The down side is that any water that is spilled in the freezer makes a mess.

·
Registered
14 Posts
When you can't get any more salt to dissolve you are done. When the water is hot it takes a lot of salt to achieve saturation. Maybe as much as 10 tablespoons of salt for 2 cups of water.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I think I have decided to just skip the dehydrating trial I was going on. I'm going to salt as usual. I am going to vaccum pack the shrimp after done though. Just thinking out loud. Anyone tried that?

·
Registered
337 Posts
I get good results salting and keeping in the refrigerator but have never tried vacuum packing.
My thoughts were by vacum packing it makes it much easier to keep in your cooler or frig for that matter. Would not have to worry about it getting water logged in the bottom of a cooler or contaminating everything else. Just cut a small pack open as you need it. No chance of smell either and it should help with the freshness I would think. I have not had to time to really research it yet.

·
Registered
12 Posts
good points...I would be curious to know if anyone has had success doing it.
I usually use leftover shrimp from Christmas party's. Not cooked Salt it with Kosher salt, then Vacuum pack it in small bags. Only take out of the freezer what I need that day. It works for me. Caught 2 nice Puppy Drum (24") at Outer Banks in May & many other smaller fish.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts