Pier and Surf Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Ok;

All bait covered except for Sand Fleas,,,can you salt them and still catch fish. I can catch a thousand at the Fort if I wanted, well at least several hundred.

Also once salted does freezing hurt or help???? Not sure on the above answers
never salted a flea, so im not sure how that one will work out, try it and let us know...as far as freezing after salting, ive never done that either, its not necessary... so i dont know the effect it has on the quality of the baits but i wouldnt imagine it being too good. as when the remaining moisture freezes, it expands, opening cavities within the bait...its the same thing that makes fresh bait feel mushy after freezing and thawing...

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
freezing

I doubt it would freeze with all the salt ...... but there is no need to freeze ... also the salting process works faster out of the fridg than in ......

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I doubt it would freeze with all the salt ...... but there is no need to freeze ... also the salting process works faster out of the fridg than in ......
actually...im certain it would freeze...my friend just told me he tried storing salted baits in the freezer, thinking they wouldnt freeze...and when he checked them the next day it was like a salt brick...ive never had a salted baits container lock up like that so im pretty certain it actually froze...

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
I use old peanut butter jars. Works fine, and doesn't get stinky.
Good deal,,,I have some old Mason Jars with pressure lids I am not using, which work out great.

Plus I am wondering if I should pack the squid in menhaden oil as I have a gallon of the stuff that I have not used (my wife will not let me open the bottle in house or get anywhere near her after I get some on my hands:D)

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Good deal,,,I have some old Mason Jars with pressure lids I am not using, which work out great.

Plus I am wondering if I should pack the squid in menhaden oil as I have a gallon of the stuff that I have not used (my wife will not let me open the bottle in house or get anywhere near her after I get some on my hands:D)
well...ive marrinated it for a while then added it to the salt...thats your call...but the squid will work just as good as fresh even without any added scent...

·
Registered
270 Posts
Just my .02 on the freezing aspect. I used sea salt on both mullet and bunker and put them in the freezer. Even after six months in there they did not freeze solid. If the fish are as dry as can be before salting, most of the liquid is gone. Patting them dry with papertowels beforehand and salting them heavily helps. No excess liquid, no water to freeze and expand.

DMS #525
OBPA

·
Super Moderator
3,417 Posts
I know this thread has been inactive for a while, but in case someone is interested in preserving sand fleas, greg12345 started an excellent thread last summer over on the Open Forum. About three-fourths of the way down in the first post on that thread, there is information about how to preserve sand fleas, which was relevant to this one.

There isn't a way to take that one post from that thread and add it to this thread, and I didn't want to merge the two, so here is the link to that thread.

Thanks, Greg, for the information. :)

21 - 30 of 30 Posts