Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
drove up to see how far the dam is from shore and I pull up to a line of fisherman in waders, elbow to elbow, using ballistics trying to catch some rock. Just watchin these guys trying to cast out 2-4 oz was quite a sight. Is that a normal thing for conowingo? Different strokes for different folks but but is a 13'3" surf rod necessary? The dam is less than a stones throw away so it can't be for distance could it? On a side note this place would be great practice for IR.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Distances needed will vary depending on which gates are open (150+ yards at times) but there a quite a few Ballistics employed up there and have seen a Team Alabama in the mix as well as far as 13 footers go. There is a mix of everything up there: Airwave elites , Century, St. Croix, and a fair share of Kmart specials on occasion. I bring a 10'6" Legend and an 11' mojo or Lami most of the time and have never felt for lack of distance. To each his own.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
yeah you will definitely need a long mid to high end stick up there when they are running the far gates. The thing with fishing there is if you are not hitting the white water/ current from the open gate you might as well not even fish that day. Fishing is hot up there right now. I don't fish there anymore due to family and work, hence the reason I am selling my gear that I use specifically for fishing there. You can get by with a shorter rod when the closer gates are open sometimes but you always have to have the long rod with you. You just never know. I fished a 12' Saltiga Surf (not ballistic) and I was able to catch a ton of fish. The biggest issue with casting up there is the crowds. You have to learn the system and be able to cast hard in tight quarters. I have seen many a fights up there because people that aren't familiar with system push their way to the middle of the group and screw everyone up.

If you are looking for Conowingo Specific gear and tackle let me know. I am selling all of mine off.

·
Registered
804 Posts
yeah you will definitely need a long mid to high end stick up there when they are running the far gates. The thing with fishing there is if you are not hitting the white water/ current from the open gate you might as well not even fish that day. Fishing is hot up there right now. I don't fish there anymore due to family and work, hence the reason I am selling my gear that I use specifically for fishing there. You can get by with a shorter rod when the closer gates are open sometimes but you always have to have the long rod with you. You just never know. I fished a 12' Saltiga Surf (not ballistic) and I was able to catch a ton of fish. The biggest issue with casting up there is the crowds. You have to learn the system and be able to cast hard in tight quarters. I have seen many a fights up there because people that aren't familiar with system push their way to the middle of the group and screw everyone up.

If you are looking for Conowingo Specific gear and tackle let me know. I am selling all of mine off.
Are you going to list them in the Marketplace forum?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts