Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moved into the Virginia area and have been doing some salt water fishing. I'm from the north and thought that salt water fishing would be more exciting. Thought that there were bigger fish to catch. After fishing the peirs and a couple of head boats. I have not been impressed. Quite use to catching 3-4 pound bass back home in Ohio. Catfishing can produce even bigger fish.

Here is my question:

Where do I need to go for the sport fish. Catching large fish is the key for me. Do not even really keep fish for eating. I'm not interested in paying a grand to catch a couple of tuna.

·
Registered
39 Posts
if you own a boat, youll be in luck for large striper this winter (50+ lbs some of them). During the early spring you can catch lots of large red and black drum (up to 50 lbs)..keep in mind all of this is with a boat though. The piers usually wont produce anything too big, however if you go fishing along the oceanfront piers, they occasionally pull in some king mackerel and cobia, but dont count on it. If you want to try for tuna, my best advice it to travel 2 hours south to the outer banks and fish down there...they just had one of the best yellowfin tuna bites in many years along with dolphin..many boats exceeded their limit before noon. Why the outer banks? well, its cheaper down there to go deep sea fishing, you dont have to go out as far to catch the fish, and in turn, that leaves you with more time to fish than to travel into the gulf stream to find the big fish. Good luck fishin, but it looks like the big things wont be coming to Va Beach until sometime this fall and into winter. - Teddy

·
Registered
691 Posts
Persistence pays!!

A few thoughts.....I moved to VA from Maine in 1991. Up until that point, my fishing primarily took place in freshwater for Trout and Smallmouth Bass. I was lucky enough to fish the salt for Atlantic Salmon, and even had the chance to fish the OBX, Bahamas, and FLA, Keys several times. But that was that for saltwater. Until in 1991 I started fishing the Chesepeake Bay regularly, and then moved to some nearshore and offshore angling. I love it all, but I would have to say that the Bay has produced more overall fishing knowledge, oppurtunities; and given the location, size of fish. I have caught Striper up to 35lbs., Cobia(unweighed), and many nice size fish encompassing the multitude of species the Bay offers(Flounder, Gray's, Blues, Sharks, Spanish, etc...). All of this from a pier and in the Bay. I suppose Bay fishing isn't for everyone, or even saltwater for that matter.....But, if you're willing to put in A LOT of time, and don't let this REALLY poor season discourage you, you might find some of those bigger fish you are after. Also, the fall often produces the biggest fish of the season as the slobs prepare to swim south for the winter. These fish will only be but so big though, Flounder 7-8lbs., Trout 5-6lbs., Blues 8lbs., or Spanish 6lbs. These are BIG for there species in the Bay. If it's 'heavy' fish you are seeking, an inshore run to the Chesepeake Light Tower(CLT) for Amberjack or an offshore excursion for Marlin, Tuna, Wahoo, and Mahi may be the only ticket. Ofcourse, you can catch 'heavy' Striper easily in the fall, and the Drum run this spring smoked. But, truly BIG fish live east of here, places where the headboats aren't going, and the trip into their territory is usually $$ well spent regardless of the fishing. (The prices here are NOT any more than south of here either. Usually the same to less if you do your research.) It's good bonding time with family and friends, an experience only a small percentage of humans will ever have the pleasure of enjoying, and a place we know as little about as space. Sounds worth it to me....... Anyway, keep at it. You've only scratched the surface and maybe if you try some new places, tactics, or fishin' buddies, you will find what you're seeking?! GOOD LUCK!!!!
Fish On

Zigh

:D

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I don't know about Va. but if you want to catch bif fish then head to the Outer Banks in the spring and fall, especially the Point at Cape Hatteras. You do need some specialized equipment though to bea ble to handle 25-100 lb fish from the surf though. The guys on this board should be able to really haelp you out there if you don't already have it.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Check out the striper runs in the fall. Honestly, my experience has been that high summer is not that great, unless i'm in a boat and can find the fish. you won't go wrong at night under a full moon in november, live-baiting for stripers. This year will be one of the best in a very long time.
If you want catfish, find someone with a small boat (even a canoe or jon-boat) and go to 'deep bottom' east of hopewell. 50-60 pound blue cats can regularly be caught.
Va state records:
Blue catfish-72# (2000)
Cobia 104# (2002)
Striper-red drum-black drum- help me out folks!
Anyway, I agree, this year sucked unless you got into the drum run.

HEY ZIGH- I hope your still laughing so hard the devil gets scared, I've been kinda worried:D

·
Registered
691 Posts
Devil he be runnin'

Yep, I'm still cackling like a fool........ Supposed to shoot some footage for Jim Baugh Outdoor's today and then head offshore 2morrow if the wind will let us......... I'll be chuckling for sure!

Peace
:D

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
If you're looking for "big" fish this time of year, without going offshore and spending Big $$$.....

Checkout Blue Catfish on the James river. You won't be dissapointed :cool:

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
The fall season is definitely better for larger size fish as are the beachs of Carolina, but something you might want to try (unless you already are) is downsizing your gear. I fish this time of year mainly with a light-action rod and 6lb. test. It makes those 2-3lb. fish feel a lot bigger.

·
Registered
534 Posts
They are right about the catfish, just go to the chick @ Powahatan resort tackle shop and ask for Kelly Pratt, he will tell where and how to catch the big cats. The biggest problem this year in Va and the Outer Banks has been all the rain which has lowered the salt content near shore keeping the big fish (cobia and king mackeral way out. Right now your best bet is down around Wilminton, NC (Topsail Island and Oak Island, each having 3 piers) for King and Tarpon, Top Sail is best for Tarpon and spinner sharks)

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
well since your new to the area I can see how you think the fishing is boring, but in my opinion its not. A big part of catching fish is learning how to do it. I have lived in virginia beach for all of my 25 yrs. and Im still learning whenever I go.What Id do is not go to headboats or piers as they can be very slow in the summer. I have more luck fishing inlets(lynnhaven/rudee),and near bridges (hrbt/cbbt). Also since your not concearned with keeping fish you should try catch and release striper. the lesner has plenty of striper in the 3-10 lb range right now. the best time to et em is late at night when there holding under the lights. pay your dues learn a little and soon you will forget what freshwater fishing is. I would say that a big striper would definitly rival the fight of a northern

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Hey tony I would go as far as to say that the fishing lately is "Slow" not "boring". Just wait my friend it will come around.(Fall) Just when you think you are gonna give up on it, a nice fish will pull on your pole and you'll forget all about the slow times:D

·
Registered
823 Posts
tony,
brother its not just you, fishing has sucked most of the season up and down eastern seaboard

·
Registered
441 Posts
Stripers are not the strongest fish in the Bay. If you do fish for stripers, try to catch on lighter gear.

Red Drum, bLUES, trout, flounder, cobia are better bets for fishing fight.

I rather catch a 3 lb smallmouth over a 5 lbs. largemouth anyday because they fight so hard. In the case of stripers, I rate them less than a largemouth.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
The fishing has been pretty slow this year but the Point did experience a pretty good cobia run in May and June. We had a new stat record caught from a boat off the Point this year, and plenty of 25 to 80+lbs caught in the surf.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
ccc658, a flounder fights better than a striper? flounder usually fight like a wet rag pulled off the bottom. striper take drag and make runs at least.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I've caught

northern pike, largemouth bass, and lots of other freshwater species, including steelhead (which is still my favorite fish to hook up with, btw). I've never seen anything like the kinds of fishing inshore fishing aournd Ches. bay/OBX has to offer anyone anywhere.

Its not like I'm a world traveller, and I don't even get out that much these days on account of physical limitations. But I've caught bigger fish more often here than anywhere else. Once one gets to know the seasons for each species, how to target them, and which way the wind is blowing and water temps., one is bound to find themselves hooking up with some nice stripers in the fall, and big(ger) bluefish in the fall/spring, Red Drum in the spring/fall, and nice trout, grays and specks...then, there's flounder, spanish mackeral, taylor blues, roundheads, all of which are fun on the right tackle. Its like a smorgasborg out there man! One never knows what one will hook up with.

And, of course, the 'man in the old brown suit'...

tight lines,

Doad.:cool:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.