Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
salt to fresh water

i was talking to a dude around the westpoint bridge the oter day got to talking bout the change fresh to salt as far as a liscence goes he told me that all the salt water fishing stopped at the other side of the bridge i told him that just becuase the bridge is there doesnt mean that the fish just stop there 'he told me if ya want to catch a salt water fish go on the other side of the bridge :confused: i think he thought the crokers dont come past the bridge cause its fresh water side :eek: that is kinda tricky the matter of 8 ft difference sounds like a good revenue if you ask me for the people that dont know any better

·
Registered
36 Posts
my brother and i were ticketed for the "salt water/fresh water" controvesy o the james last summer. the officer told us that we were LEGALLY in fresh water so he handed my brother a ticket for not having a license. we put up an argument though. you can call it whatever you want but we showed him a cooler full of croaker and our limit of flounder to show that we were indeed in salt water. i know he was just doing his job, but as you said, those tickets do carry some pretty hefty fies. that has to be one of the city's biggest revenues, right behind illegal flounder.

just my 2 cents

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Well that line is there so they can just have some distinction between freshwater jurisdiction and saltwater jurisdiction. That doesn't mean the salt water stops at that point or that the saltwater fish don't go past that point. The drought the past few years has pushed saltwater many more miles inland than it has ever been. But now with the rain this spring and summer we shouldn't see many species go as far upstream into "freshwater jurisdiction" It is the same way up here in the potomac and occoquan rivers. Hope this helps:)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts