Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever seen or heard of a sailfish coming in close to shore (within 1000 feet)?

I was fish CG Pier in October last year and something BIG jumped pu straight out of the water. I didn't get a really good look at it but I thought it appeared to have the large dorsal of a sailfish. The other two people out fishing with me also said it looked like a sail, but they hadn't gotten a good look at it and were by no means experts on IDing fish.

Also, someone said it might have been a king, but I've never seen a king come up like this fish did. I know some fish like tarpon ar mako sharks will come out of the water to chase a fish but never thought a king would.

Anyone know anything about shallow-water sailfish or jumping kings?

Tight lines and bent rods,

Evan

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
NO

although once in Hawaii on a boat at the crack of dawn we were the first boat to the coveted bouy (hurray!) only to see a huge pseudo killer whale jump way up over the bouy (dangit!)

had a nice day bottomfishing about 100 ft from shore after that. Caught my first and only lizard fish. I think I screamed loud enough for the sun bathers on the other islands to hear me and make fun of my feminine screech.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Hate to disagree with you Husky, but...

Kings regularly come out of water on the attack. I've seen it many times when they grab a bait and rocket up into the air.

Second, sails are caught from piers from the OBX down to Fla. It's a rare event further north, but they are caught inshore occasionally from SC to Fla. They're the only billfish that doesn't mind coming into shallow water. In fact there are a few sails mounted on a few piers on the OBX that have been caught over the years.

So to answer your question, yes it is possible to see offshore fish in the surf. In fact, Salty, Digger and I missed a blitz of small dolphin at Nags Head a few years ago when we chose to fish the Seagull Pier instead of heading to Nags Head. I've never forgiven myself for arguing for going to the Seagull. :(

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Husky and flea

Maybe I'll catch that sail this year :D .:rolleyes:

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Evan

·
Registered
334 Posts
A big sailfish was caught off Avalon a few years back and every now and then they'll hook up with one but its rare. Oh and yes kings WILL sky a bait. Means they'll go down below the bait or fish and shoot straight up out the water with it in its mouth Ive heard of Kings sometimes jumpin 10 feet in the air off a pier with someone king fishin. never seen it but Id imagine it would be a sight to see!:jawdrop: specially if its your bait its got

·
Registered
490 Posts
What were you guy's smoking when you saw them sail's??? any marlin too.?? maybe couple tuna!:jawdrop:

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gotcha & Sandflea

You both say that kings will jump with bait. Will a king jump with free-schooling fish, or just with a hooked bait?

oldsalt,
Ha ha very funny :rolleyes:. Despite your beliefs, many large fish are caught off piers. I do know that marlin do not come in close enough to shore to catch from a pier and as far as tuna go; it's possible but I've never heard of it. But large fish do come in. Tarpon, kings, cobia, sharks and evidently some sailfish prove that. Not all fish are as small as the croaker and spot that you catch bottomrigging. Thus a gaff is necesary for the occasional big one.

Again, my 2¢.

Evan

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
A coulpe years ago there was a tuna,YFT I believe caught in th mouth of th Ches Bay. Also heard rumor of someone hooking a sailfish while fishing for drum at Cape Point. Corse these are hearsay, didn't see it myself.

BTW kingfisherman23, ask Drumdum about kings skying. he's got a story or two I believe.

·
Registered
334 Posts
kingfisherman23

I really dont know but i would imagine that they would alot of other animals feed like that we've seen spanish jump completly out the water chasin mullet so i would guess that a king would too.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
Kings will jump on schooling bait. It looks like a missile coming out of the water.

The first time I ever saw it was when I was on the Outer Banks. I was in my teens and fishing near Coquina Beach when a king rocketed through a school of menhaden. I yelled out "HOLY S**T" so loud that they probably heard me at Oregon Inlet. ;)

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
oldsalt said:
What were you guy's smoking when you saw them sail's??? any marlin too.?? maybe couple tuna!:jawdrop:
Have seen kings "sky" from a boat ,from the planks, AND from the beach! That was my adrenalin rush,thankya... :D They'll come up into the air like they were shot from the bottom by a canon. Kings are without a doubt the most famous for doing that,but,I've also seen Cobes Tarpon Blacktips Spinners,and yes belive it or not DRUMMIES sky after bait! Now put that in your pipe and smoke it,oldsalt... :D :D :D
PS If you have a "lie detector machine" handy,I'll be glad to hook up to it for ya.. ;)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
i heard angelo at Jolly Roger Pier caught a sail once, and there have been many reports of bluefins coming in to the surf.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
i fished off jolly roger for about a 4-5 year period when my grandmother had some friends with a condo. i learned king rigging from him, i got hooked when i saw him gaff a green one right after a storm blew up. they brought it to the pier house and everyone was trying to estimate the weight and he got it exactly right, 17lbs 3oz. i haven't been down there for years though. i know there was a little boy named rob who fished with him, and he couldn't have been more than 8yrs old but he threw a throw net probably the best of anyone i've ever seen.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now DRUM jump after bait? :jawdrop: Wow, this is very suprising. I can just imagine a big old fat red trying to jump up...:D :D :D :D :D .

That's pretty damn funny. Anyway, oldsalt I believe you have been proven wrong and two real "Old Salts" on CGP owe me $20 each (They bet me that sails would never come in so close). That's enough to give me two king days and three rigs. I'm happy now, thanx all. :D

·
Registered
285 Posts
proof

"Fish 'Suicide' in the Gulf, I am personally reporting to everyone that we are experiencing a "Suicide Fish" epidemic. Starting with the pier, a 50-lb Sailfish was caught at the end of the pier. Although this is not unheard of, since one was caught at the number 1 bouy about 10 years ago, it is dang rare. But it happened. Using a steel leader and a hard tail as bait - BANG the fish struck and the fight was on. May 2002 Pensacola Florida" http://www.pbrla.com/fishrpts_0502.html

"AL HUBBARD
Outdoor Writer
Is Panama City becoming the new Magic Mile for sailfish?

Last year there were over 30 sailfish caught and reported within 20 miles of St Andrew Pass. Several were even hooked up on the Dan Russell Pier. The blackfin tuna run was so strong that many fishing trips targeted them.

Two years ago a 500-pound blue marlin hit a king mackerel bait 15 miles off the coast. A 93-pound yellowfin tuna was caught from the surf at Laguna Beach. May 28th, 2000"
http://www.newsherald.com/articles/2000/05/28/wf052800d.htm

and this one from Daytona Beach Florida 2003, for some reason couldn't get the full article on description from yahoo.

"Many locals had newsworthy catches in 2003, including Ralph Hay's sailfish caught
in the surf ... " www.news-journalonline.com/NewsJournalOnline/Sports/Outdoors/03SportsFISH01010204.htm

This is Will with a 29 lb. Blackfin Tuna caught off the Juno Pier. http://www.junobait.com/photogallery.htm

I have also heard reports of dolphin(mahi-mahi) being caught off the piers from NC to Florida.

As far as kings coming out of the water(skying) bait. They definately do, i've seen it many times walking to the end of the pier early in the morning (usually around 5:30am) Have also seem them sky on king rigs :D an awsome site to see. Just wish it was my bait in the fishes mouth. Will never forget that day, the kings were thick, you could see 'em swimming around your bait, watching one swim around my bait for 10 minutes then decide to go for the one next to it, missing all 3 of the hooks and splitting the bait in half, the bait now dead in the water you see the fish turn and come back for the rest. It was definately an exciting day.

Tight Lines

Tim

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I have seen a Sailfish in the inner slough in Kitty Hawk and Some folks caught Dolphin off the Kitty Hawk Pier a few years back. A good East wind and some clear water will do wonders.

PS The guy who owns the Outer Banks Pier is the only person I have heard of to catch a Sailfish from the surf in North Carolina, if anyone knows anyone else please tell me.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Old Salt on the Marlin there is a place in Austrailia that gets "Black Marlin" in where they fish for them from the rocks(cliffs).
I saw this on TV a couple of years ago it was a two part series. I still have a hard time believing it. Now if I hit the Lotto I might try it

I have seen small Sails landed from the piers of NC and FL

·
Registered
472 Posts
oldsalt said:
What were you guy's smoking when you saw them sail's??? any marlin too.?? maybe couple tuna!
I've seen several small Sailfish caught from moored boats, in the Harbor at Nassau.

And the thing to remember about Kings and Wahoo, for that matter, is that they are basicly just overgrown Mackeral.

Anything a Spanish Mac will do, a King will do.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
SANDFLEA

Disagree?
I said "NO" to answer that I don't know anything about it.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts