Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a 5 hook sabiki rig. The hook size is #4. Is this size good for spanish mackarel? What other fish might take a liking to this type/size rig?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
I know they are good for catching small fish to use for bait for big fish, like barjack, juvenile blues etc.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Sabiki rigs are good to catch baits.

They WILL draw strikes from spanish mackerel - but only the smallest will most likely stay on. Anything larger will bite the rig off in an instant.

Lou

·
Registered
239 Posts
you might catch some shad or herring. there will not be any spanish until july , after the water is above 68 or 70. Something interesting I saw last year on Seagull was someone catching alot of croaker on one.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Surf Stirrer,

I agree with Fishwagon. On Harrison's Pier it is "shad city" if you jig with a sabiki rig, sometimes 2 or 3 each pull. Just be careful which shad you get. Can't possess American shad. Have fun!

Mmacman

·
Registered
315 Posts
I fished those for the first time last season. Made my own.

It was GREAT on the pan trout at night. Used the smallest green Fin-S minnows. Smaller gold hooks, I forget the size, the light wire ones. 1 Oz sinker, although I saw someone using a Bass Assassin as the weight.

Thought that was a good idea.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well it looks like I didn't waste a couple bucks for nothing. Glad there is a use for the rig. I'll give it a try in a couple weeks. I will be sure to run off a photo copy of an American Shad for my gear pack. Wouldn't want to make the game warden's day. :D

Thanks for the info everyone.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I was using one jigging for bait off the South Skyway Pier (Bridge) in Tampa last year and got a spanish on one of them.

Got him in too. But he mangled the rig so badly that that was about it for it.

I've never used them up here for anything, but I've heard you can get larger, aggressive minnows to hit them.

THROW MORE BACK

Jake Ace

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sabiki rigs are good to catch baits.

They WILL draw strikes from spanish mackerel - but only the smallest will most likely stay on. Anything larger will bite the rig off in an instant.

Lou
i was recentlly fishing the skyway they work for big mack caught 3 5pound mack

·
Registered
1,878 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
I was using one jigging for bait off the South Skyway Pier (Bridge) in Tampa last year and got a spanish on one of them.

Got him in too. But he mangled the rig so badly that that was about it for it.

I've never used them up here for anything, but I've heard you can get larger, aggressive minnows to hit them.

THROW MORE BACK

Jake Ace
Hey Jack,, be careful using them in FL, they are illegal there for bait or anything else!

·
Banned
1,772 Posts
wow- this is a blast from the past -- this thread dates back to 2003!!!
thread starter is listed as Pier & Surf Stirrer -- just out of curiousity, cuz i've never seen it before, what or who is a P & S Stirrer -- was it like a moderator of sorts?

·
Registered
320 Posts
i have had awesome luck with them even caught a ray last year on one and didnt have a problem with it they are so cheap if they get tangled i jusst throw it away and put on another

·
Registered
337 Posts
Hey Jack,, be careful using them in FL, they are illegal there for bait or anything else!

I am Sorry I had a senior moment..... I was wrong about the Sabiki rigs being illegal.... I was thinking about the little net gill bait rigs..... I take it back ,forgive me ,,, btw i am Better Now!

Fishing Deprivation is a very cruel disease!

·
Registered
531 Posts
pain in the ass to cast, untangle, and reuse... much easier ways to catch bait out there.
yes i agree with you but after a little experimenting last summer that is all i used instead of a bottom rig. I caught everything from sand pirch, spot, blues, spadefish, crocker, a sand eel at night, trout, menhaden, thredfin, and a small flounder.
But i would only use them once. One sibiki rig per bottom rig rod per day unless the blues took some of the hooks off for me. And No sabiki rigs are not a waste of money yes they maybe 3$ per one but i promice you i caught more fish than any one useing a bottom rig. and i mostly caught 2, to 3 fish at a time and sometimes catching 4 at a time.

BUT BE SURE TO tip each hook with a small piece of fishbites blood worm it really helps.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Its amusing to me to see threads that are 5 years old suddenly spring to life...

BTW where is that Pier and Surf Stirrer Guy anyway???:p:D

·
Banned
1,772 Posts
Cdog - i thought the same thing - nobody answered me yet tho!:p:D

wow- this is a blast from the past -- this thread dates back to 2003!!!
thread starter is listed as Pier & Surf Stirrer -- just out of curiousity, cuz i've never seen it before, what or who is a P & S Stirrer -- was it like a moderator of sorts?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts