Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gonna be there in a few days are the mullet still running in the surf in large schools? Or better bet to get them in the sound?

Where's the grass coming from in the surf? From the last tropical depression that came through?

Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Should still be some mullet running the beach. The grass is always bad witn any south wind. Should clear up after this front blows through.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Found some at Oregon Inlet today, but this wind is killing the beach fishing. Tossed out 8oz and it rolled its way back to me! Staying in S Nags Head

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found sand fleas in the surf today. Over 50 in about 30 min. Tried surf fishing in S Nags Head, still too rough. Used shrimp, sand fleas and cut mullet. Nothing.
Went to Oregon Inlet,fished the bridge, sea bass and a sheepshead and pinfish. Used shrimp and sand fleas. Another guy had a nice red and decent size sheepy.
Wind is still kicking, saw plenty of finger mullet
Taking kayak out tomorrow

·
Registered
8 Posts
I didn't feel like sitting in that wind off the surf. I took my car instead of my truck, and a 9' and fished the inlets and sound side on Sat. I got tired of losing bait so I switched to a big treble hook. When i felt the turd rustlers, I yanked hard on the treble and foul hooked a couple small pin fish. Didn't get skunked, I guess.
I put a 5/0 back on, and fished the pin fish. Still nothing.

·
Registered
40 Posts
It does look pretty rough on the beach but try fishing in real close. Those big sea mullet should be right in the wash. Probably get a drum if you’re patient. Good luck

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Kayaked out of Oregon Inlet today in the AM. Caught a rat red paddling to the grass flat fingers. Found about 20 trout, all to small. Wind kicked up and the paddle back was a great workout. Snagged a branch in the middle of the flats, not sure how that happened but made the paddle longer.
Hoping the winds calm down tomorrow, they’ve been working overtime! They need a break.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fished the surf in S Nags Head all day. 1 20” puppy drum, 3 blues, a spot, a puffer and 2 sharks. All on cut mullet. Fished 2hrs at night with nothing to show other than an awesome sky.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mixed bag for me this week in Nags Head. Last 4 days; many small black drum and sea mullet (one over a pound). Half a dozen small speckled trout, one spot, a bunch of small flounder, a nearly 36" dogfish and a 24" red drum today. Today was the slowest day, with the drum and a few small speckled trout. Drum hit on a sand flea, everything else a mixed bag of shrimp and fishbites.

Yes, it was windy, but it died down today.

Good luck to all.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Left today, looked like a beautiful day though. Buddies who stayed behind caught a few trout.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I made it down this afternoon about 5. The little trout were almost aggravating! We got 3 blues a sea mullet and my girlfriend caught a 26 inch puppy drum. I think she had 2 on. The bottom hook was broke off!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts