Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So for this season Pin Rigging will be done from one corner , North or South , the corner not Pin Rigging is for Sight Casting the Kings and Cobia , Both groups will pay the 8.00 King /Cobia fee plus the regular fishing fee , There's a Jigging Lane between the two groups , Not sure what they classified as Jigging but Sight Casters can't throw in the Jigging Lane , They list it on their fee's as King/Cobia fishing no longer Pin Rigging I'm guessing so the Sight Casting group has to pay the extra fee for fairness ,

·
Registered
82 Posts
That should make it fun out there all pin riggers in one corner so that a couple sight casters can throw a bucktail every now and then, most of those sightcasters are pricks anyway

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That should make it fun out there all pin riggers in one corner so that a couple sight casters can throw a bucktail every now and then, most of those sightcasters are pricks anyway
Not all the are pricks but there are some strong options , I don't think they'll want to pay 8.00 more in hopes of seeing something to throw at . Most Pin Riggers aren't going to be happy with losing half there choices to setup , But since Jennette's is the longest one now it's the only one worth Pin Rigging from till / if Nags Head and Avalon gets rebuilt , I'm aware of a good number of season pass holders that have not renewed their passes and won't . I'm sure a number of regular's that aren't season pass holders will just go fish else where too. I don't see this helping their bottom line but since it is State owned I guess you can operate at a loss since it's just taxpayers money , I can't think of anything Government owned that breaks even or makes a profit if their is let know .

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that they are just trying to make everybody happy. Have fun out there.
They are appeasing a very small group that's crying out the loudest and alienating a larger customer base , Seems to be the norm in this Country lately .

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thats a good word for it "reactions" usually plenty of room for all but with the other piers in the situation there in theres no telling how many will be out there. I do my fishing on the beach side of that line anyway ... almost time to catch fiddlers and fleas woo hoo

·
Registered
262 Posts
I was set up last year in the north corner with a real pretty blue fish swimming around when i heard a couple tourist talking about a big turtle coming in from the south. It had a big 60+ pounder swimming with it. And wouldn't you know some guy starts blasting away with a buck tail. The fish make a swipe at the buck tail and turned to head out to see with the turtle never once looking at my live bait. I sure am glad i was the only one fishing that day.

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was set up last year in the north corner with a real pretty blue fish swimming around when i heard a couple tourist talking about a big turtle coming in from the south. It had a big 60+ pounder swimming with it. And wouldn't you know some guy starts blasting away with a buck tail. The fish make a swipe at the buck tail and turned to head out to see with the turtle never once looking at my live bait. I sure am glad i was the only one fishing that day.
If that happened with a Rail full of Pin Riggers I'll bet it would have been a sight to see :eek:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah. You got to love having the rail all to yourself.
Only had that pleasure a handful of times, It was nice but I like the fellowship of a bunch of like minded fellow fishermen to share the experience with , It's not always about catching fish It's about the event.

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
So for this season Pin Rigging will be done from one corner , North or South , the corner not Pin Rigging is for Sight Casting the Kings and Cobia , Both groups will pay the 8.00 King /Cobia fee plus the regular fishing fee , There's a Jigging Lane between the two groups , Not sure what they classified as Jigging but Sight Casters can't throw in the Jigging Lane , They list it on their fee's as King/Cobia fishing no longer Pin Rigging I'm guessing so the Sight Casting group has to pay the extra fee for fairness ,
That will make for an "interesting season"............... You just KNOW EVERYONE that is sightcasting for alberts are going to be PROUD of a pier that will charge extra to do that... And someone seeing a cobia with a rod that has ANY chance to cast at it and hasn't paid the fee is going to hold that cast back?? Like I said it ought to be interesting...... lol

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
That will make for an "interesting season"............... You just KNOW EVERYONE that is sightcasting for alberts are going to be PROUD of a pier that will charge extra to do that... And someone seeing a cobia with a rod that has ANY chance to cast at it and hasn't paid the fee is going to hold that cast back?? Like I said it ought to be interesting...... lol
I have a couple popping rods I built this winter with Daiwa Millionaire ll's on them. Likely a smaller Cobia would be fine with those setups. I know I would not hold back, I am FHB. Likely though because I pretty much retired from King Fishing OBX piers I will not be likely be "That Guy":rolleyes:

I know back in the Day Wacko strolled out and busted up 2 50 pounders on a Cobia rod before the fish had a chance to get to the pin rigs. Wacko had the best setup, a big spinning reel on a 6' stout rod and heavy Cobia Jigs, he would drop the jig in front of the Cobia and let it fall, if he saw the Cobia go down to give chase, he started reeling real fast and hooked up:) and because Wacko is Wacko he let them pin riggers know all about it:rolleyes:

Back in the day the Red Head and I had just got off work after fretting all day long that the water was Prime and we were stuck on the Job.

We kept all our gear in the old Pier house already rigged up.

I was rushing so I was perhaps 75 feet ahead of the Red Head.

I was looking over the rail and spied a 60 pound Cobia swimming slowly beside the Pier. Pier was largely empty that day.

I cracked up with laughter, untied from the rod stack I carried over my shoulder a 6500 popping rod that had a Butter Bean bucktail combo jig on it and pitched the jig in front of the Cobia's nose.

Cobia sucked it down and I set the hook, laughing even harder as the Cobia swam away from the Pier and Red Head caught up and started get heated:rolleyes:

The Cobia then decided to turn around and go around a piling, he broke me off and I was not longer giddy.

King Mackerel will often feed into the Current. Cobia seem to prefer to swim with the current especially in the Spring on the OBX. One side of the Piers will be better fishing on any given day. Not sure how the Government will be able to sort that out:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
When a Cobia going swimming by and all the paid Sight Casters start throwing and the non-paid too that will be a show for sure .

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
So if I want to to throw at a Cobia I have to pay extra and stand in the corner? Glad to see pier rules reflecting California's mentality.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts