Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went down to Rudee yesterday about 4:30 pm . Inlet side was pretty busy so we went down to the beach on the left of the jetty. Saw one guy with a nice drum and another guy Frank hitting small trout. We started trowing 4" blue storm baits out off the rocks and caught three stripers around 20" and some small blues. Too bad we weren't in the bay we could have kept the Stripers!! They were hitting on the 4" blue and the 6" pinfish baits. We stayed till about 9:30 and we had to go pick up my freinds wife from workso we called it a night. That corner of the beach filled up but no action. Probably gonna try Chicks beach Friday morning . We were getting hits on bloodworms on the ocean side but nothing worth keeping.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Just wondering why you cant keep the rockfish you caught? I thought as long as they were regulation then their yours.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I think he was fishing in the ocean where the limit is 2 @ 28 inches but I could be wrong.
-Anthony

·
Registered
17 Posts
Reg. Length

I always thought the Min. was 18". Why is it different in different spots?

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Correct me If I'm wrong...

Ocean fish are controlled by a different group I believe. Th striper regs in NC are 28" ocean and 18" sound I believe. Don't know if its th same at 28" for all east coast states but I think it is.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Yes the regulation IS bay and tribs two fish 18 inch minimum. Season Oct. 4th to Dec. 31. (Plus some time in the spring)

The coastal fishery (and coastal bays and rivers) is two fish 28 inch minimum. Season is May 15 (May 1st for one over 32 inches) through March 31st. Closed 6 weeks in the spring. The dividing line is basically between Cape Henry and Cape Charles. If you fish in either of the capes check for the specific details on the line. Coastal waters extend out 3 miles beyond 3 miles you are not even allowed to target striped bass. Rudee inlet is considered a coastal bay.

Tom

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Size Limitations

The site Digger talks about is where I got my info from. You can print out six pages of size limits and catch limits with pictures of the different species and the various seasons . It comes in handy if your trying to figure out if you caught a Grey Trout or a Speckled Trout.
Didn't get out this morning to Chicks like we planned but will be sure to get out there where we can keep those 20" stripers tonight or in the AM.

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
Rudee Report 10/10 am

Fished Rudee Inlet this morning from 9am - 12noon near the bridge (drizzle with an outgoing tide).

Started off pretty slow, but was getting a few bites, but nothing that big. Managed to land a crab and a few pigfish off of bloodworms. Action was still pretty slow and the rain started coming down a bit heavier then I picked up a juvenile black drum off of a piece of cut squid.

After the drum, I caught two nice size spot on back to back casts on bloodworms and thought I may have finally found a spot run for the first time this year, but nothing after that!

All fish were caught almost on the other side of the water.

Hope to get out to Chix or Broad Bay on Sunday for a bit.

Dixie

1 - 10 of 10 Posts