Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just cooked a bunch of roundhead. After dressing them I saved the heads and stuck em in the freezer.

Can they be used as an effective striper bait in the surf?

Thanks

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't know about how they perform when frozen, but croaker heads will catch most any of the surf bottom feeders that are larger.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Seafisher

Say what:jawdrop:

The croaker heads are the only heads I threw out. Didn't figure they were good for much.:mad:

Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I'v used them for shark,Blues and Rock at AI and on the OBX and they were frozen at one time,they stay on the hook alot better than their bodies do. (crabs love them too) TRIGGER:D

·
Registered
738 Posts
Sea-Mullet heads aint worth a toot fer bait, specially for drum:D

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks guys

Trigger

My son will like the possibility of getting blues on them. Don't know how he'll react if he pulls in a shark from the surf this fall.(Autistic)
Catching a striper or two is what I am hoping to catch. Thanks.

Adam

My bait of preference unfortunately was lost to Isabel. Frozen spot heads............around 60 or so.:mad: Trying to keep with my thrifty ways and get as many uses out of the roundheads as I can.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Thirfty,
Adam is pulling your leg. He'll take all those heads for Drum bait. One of my favorite baits for big Drum. Hope to catch some in a couple weeks. Will be using finger mullett and heads from roundheads if I can catch some. I will be on South Padre Island and hopefully the big reds will be chasing the mullett run in the surf. I think I am going to hit it perfect if they don't get another storm down that way.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I knew something liked head in the surf.:jawdrop:
People were saying I was a nut for thinking that the heads would catch anything the other night but I just had a feeling that something would be feeding on the heads of fish that got bitten in half by blues.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
GraphixDude

uh...........never mind.:rolleyes: :D

Kenmefish

thanks for that info. I was wondering what that big grin Adam flashed was about.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Im tellin ya Sea-mullet aint worth a toot fer bait!!! But if you need somebody to dispose of those nice streamlined heads, just stick em in my 54qt Igloo, Im sure they'll find their way to a big ol circle hook:D

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Only 54 qt to your cooler

Well I guess you do need them more than I do. Maybe they'll help ya get a few for that cooler. If not, then at least they'll add a little weight so you'll look like you're struggling when walking with your cooler.;)

I guess I'll just have to rely on skills to fill my 100 qt.:p

1 - 11 of 11 Posts