Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am learning to use my first conventional. Is it okay to stop the spool by popping the gears into place, or should I thumb it? I found an Abu6500Mag on sale for 99$. I dont know if it has a breaking system, or I am putting stress on it. Also, any other rookie tips would be helpfull. I was wondering how fireline or braids do since they have less memory.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Hi Fishwagon,
Popping the gears in, isn't the beast way to stop your reel, it can so damage to the pinion, main and the gear dog. If the 'C' clip comes away (UC - models) then a whole lot more will go.

If the reel is running too fast then slow it down, thicker heavier oil in the bearings, little to no endtension. Always fill the spoll to within 1/16 of the spools lip, the spool won't have to rotate as much than with a underfilled spool.

Always thumb the spool and not the line, fast spinning mono and a thumb skin often results in 2 problems, 1 - busted line & 2 0 burnt/sore thumb.

I hope this helps - Led.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yep, I'm glad I asked I only did it a couple times, and it worked great, but did'nt feel right. What is a good book or website for step by step advice on abu technique. I am very impressed with this thing, but have no one to learn from. It seems to me that the mag controll is too delicate, and the tension knob is better. Maybe I will need to nest a few spools and go to a competition. I have almost doubled my distance so i'm having fun. Any more advice by whoever wants to give it would be welcome. Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts