Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't believe I've not noticed till now, after watching Jeremy Schrader's video, and going back and watching other casting videos, that you right handed guys are controlling the reel with your left hand and using the right to power the rod.
Is this the reason for the reel being so close to the butt of the rod?
All my rods have a fixed reel seats with a long butt. I assume the same form can't be used with the longer butts? Is it very hard to retrain yourself to cast with the reel in the left hand? Can you use coasters on a rod with a fixed reel seat for distance casting purposes? How much more power are you able to apply using this method?

Ok, enough questions this round.

Thanks

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,349 Posts
There are some guys that tournament cast high reel. Angel Vilapano (sp) and Jerry Valentine have both been very successful high reel.

That being said, most tournament casters throw with the reel down low. On longer rods, it just seems to balance better. It frees up the right hand and allows you to really concentrate on the hit. The ergonomics of the left hand gripping the spool while pulling vs the right hand gripping while punching allows for a better grip, at least it does for me. High reel groundcasting puts my right wrist in an uncomfortable position from the start.

Try it. At first you will think it is the most cumbersome thing but after a few casts you'll probably start to like it.

Tommy

ps. I still fish high reel

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I think that it allows me to get a better grip, but I'm left handed so that may explain it. Its seems like once i went low reel I can't go back to high reels. IT just doest feel natural anymore..

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
You can use coasters below most reel seats, just to try it and see if you like it.

There are advantages to going low reel for tournies, but like Tommy, I still fish high reel.

THe only time I could see going low reel to be a disadvantage,is if you have a seriously weak grip with your non-dominant hand. (left hand if right handed)

I only mention it because even if you generate more power on the hit in low reel, if your thumb is allowing the spool to slip, (weak grip) then your not really gaining anything.

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
i like to cast on grass low reel. more power on cast. retrieving doesnt bother me.

when fishing, i use high reel. the longer grip gives me more leverage when held between legs, if i fight a fish.
not to mention.. with the reel in low while fishing.. holding a 13'+ rod .. weighing over 25oz.. is NOT fun.

i think a majority of us distance casters use high reel for fishing. and low for tourney.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I'm by no means an expert, but the few times I've thrown low reel I found the hand position more natural throughout the whole motion.

And it is easy to experiment for yourself. Just use cable ties to temporarily fix your reel low on a fixed-seat butt. It worked reasonably well my OM 10' , and I'm tempted to try it out on my 12'.

As stated above, I think that for fishing I'll always use high reel. Maybe if I had a coaster-mount rod I would throw low reel then move it up the butt after the cast.

Evan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.