Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going to try for cobias for the first time ever. will be fishing from the pier could anyone recomend a good rod for this??

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yo bros, Im no expert but I use a 10' Hatteras Heaver and and 2- 11' Ticas to fish for cobia and kings. good luck this season this will be my second season and still no cobia, the pierlocals say you have to put in your time day and night. :D

·
Registered
547 Posts
i fish off of buckroe and grandview for cobia, because they consistantly produce the most fish. there is a little bit of everything being used out there, but the most common is a good ol penn 320gti on a penn stick. you can get the combos at wally world, etc. thae are aboput 150$ for rod and reel. if you want a good reliable reel that can take a beating, and also makes a good trolling reel, the 320 is hard to beat.

tight lines

·
Registered
239 Posts
I use shorter rods on a pier, heavers on land. Shorter rods are better on a pier for weaving through everyone who has'nt pulled their lines, better for leverage too. A good cobia (pier) rod should be 4.5-6.5 ft, good flex, with enought a** to turn a 70 pound fish when he runs for the pilings. They will try about every time, and once wrapped, they realize you can't pull them up. I think the rod should be a hybrid: stiffer than inshore, lighter than offshore, like a rockfish troller, but castable. I'm not good with names. The lightest 'stand up' rods, with no roller guides are good. I have a Penn oceanmaster (45$) and bigwater ugly stick (65$). I bought a couple graphite ugly sticks for flounder/trout rods to double up if I feel lucky. They are light enough to feel a flounder nibble, yet will lift 60 pounds if needed. I use 30-50 pound braid for dual use. I hope this helps on the pier. I love Ticas in the surf.

By the way: Where can I get ticas without going to NC?

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
fishwagon,just about any tackle shop should carry em.Also you can find em online.

As far as a rod for pier fishing 90 percent of th people I have seen cobia fishing are using heavers.They give you th ability to cast a bait out far an still have th backbone to fight th fish. I have a Tica that I will prolly be using this year.Matched with a Daiwa Sl30SH.

Graphix dude pay attention to th water temps.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well c-dog I've never been on the end of a pier where 9 outa 10 people were cobia fishing with heavers. In, fact iv'e seen people get annoyed if someone walks up and set up three 12 foot rods If anyone might know more specific information about who has a stack of ticas, please tell me. I was in lighthouse, and dick's and neither has them.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
fishwagon,was only sharing my experiences on piers. Sea Gull specifically about 20 times last year. Also th first time I went to Buckroe I was shocked that people had 10-12' rods.

As to th tackle shops I didn't know your location,Bishops in Yorktown has them,I don't know about th southside. Also th old Bait Barn on North Hampton,Ocean East I think it is has th Tsunami,basically a Tica. Or you can try here TICA an other stuff

·
Registered
500 Posts
Also call PA Distributors, 428-1000. The usually have them in stock, along with the tsunamis. I bought a 9' 1-4 oz spinner tsunami and it casts metal outta site.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Yes, people may indeed become upset should one person step up and set three rigs themselves. One per person is enough to manage, usually.

Digitaldagger.com has the Tica rods. I've ordered from them. They are fast and offer VERY reasonable prices. If, however, I can buy from a local dealer (evern if it may be a few dollars more) then I do that. They appreciate the business and I appreciate the face-time with a real person. ;)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Well anyway my first summer fishing for cobia was on Grandview, and I rarely saw a rod on the end bigger than 9 feet. I stick to stand ups so I can stop a cobe before he starts looking for a piling to wrap up,weave in and out of everyone else who hasn't pulled their lines, or pull up a 60-90 pound fish when no one's around. I fish seagull a few times a summer, and I guess I thought 90% of the rods on the end werent surf rods.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Fishwagon I saw some nice tica's at green top yesterday. 9' to 11'6" ($99-$119). I have a 10'6" but only paid $46 on ebay.Hope that helps...

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
fishwagon,I shoulda said I prefer to use heavers. :eek: Th important thing is to use what you consider th best for you. Good luck on th upcoming cobia season.

·
Registered
3,387 Posts
Fishwagon some people do use the Boat rods but most that I have seen use a heaver. One rod I use is 11'3" Custom I had made in the '70's. It worked for me.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Awesome pic digger! Good info everyone thanks - Ill watch those temps Cdog but I dont think my lil shakespear is up for the challenge of a cobia! lol..still might be fun.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts