Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally wanted have a CTS 1306 built, but between backordered blanks and shipping delays it’s looking like a no-go at this time. Has anyone fished the Rodgeeks XH 13’ rod? It will be used as a drum rod spring and fall with double duty as a summer shark rod. Looking for any feedback as far as action, stiffness, etc. I am sure it’s not going to throw 20oz., but can it handle 10-12 and a chunk/head?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,524 Posts
My two cents.

I would call Red Drum Tackle or Hatteras Style in Bob's old space, they might have a 1306 or 1305 blank not spoken for.. Not sure who is building rods these days at Bob's. Brian is at Hatteras Style.

Nick is building for Oceans East and Frank and Fran's, perhaps even a few for TWs these days, I would ask Nick if he has any going out to the tackle shops as rack heaver at this time.

Only thing I know about Rod Geeks is that Moyock Flash has one. The paint faded on it some. They probably changed the paint since Flash has one of the originals.

1307 CTS or a WRI Nail will throw 20 ounces, watching Flash cast his Rod Geeks I would say it is quite a bit lighter and it was not a fast tip rod like the CTS, it seemed to be a slow action rod, which is actually more forgiving and easier to cast for some fellas.

The Rod Geeks was really inexpensive when they first started building them, like $100 for the blank, but if I could not get the CTS, I would get up with NC-Travis
and get a Vega Heavy 1509 clone or the Vega long Blue Rod. I think the 1509 Clone Vega is or was $250. Vega Blue Rod is probably a longer distance rod than the Vega 1509 Clone but is more expensive. I built one of the Vega 1509 Rods but I never cast it.

Spending $500 plus to have a Drum rod built, you better be in love with the blank first before taking advice from anyone like me who never cast one.

Brian at Hatteras Style has some new blank called the Hell Fire which I can not find anything out about over the internet.

Century is cutting down the 13'10" Tip Tornado Super Match Graphex to 13' because Ryan wanted 13' and Ryan calls it the Drum Gun. Century is $$$$$ and is probably the best of all these blanks but Best comes with a Premium Price.

·
Registered
767 Posts
The Rodgeeks is a legit heaver. Had one built a few years and fished it a few times. 8-10+bait is no problem. It's a little heavier than a CTS blank but throws pretty good. Might be one of the best bangs-for-your-buck blanks on the market.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The Rodgeeks surfsticks are fantastic actually and an absolute steal for the money spent . I've been exceptionally pleased with the performance of the moderate fast versions but not a fan of the moderate versions . One of the lightest surf blanks to be found anywhere . I was shocked at how far this model throws . The Rodgeeks model is actually lighter than the CTS although the CTS is 6" longer making it a wash .

SURF BLANK SERIES - SRF106MHMF2
MODEL #
SRF106MHMF2

LENGTH10'6"
POWERMH
ACTIONMF
MONO. LINE WGT.12 - 25 lb.
LURE WGT. OZ.2 - 6 oz.
TIP SIZE*8
BUTT DIAMETER*0.815"
Weight*6.65 oz.
PRICE$129.00

·
Registered
116 Posts
Originally wanted have a CTS 1306 built, but between backordered blanks and shipping delays it’s looking like a no-go at this time. Has anyone fished the Rodgeeks XH 13’ rod? It will be used as a drum rod spring and fall with double duty as a summer shark rod. Looking for any feedback as far as action, stiffness, etc. I am sure it’s not going to throw 20oz., but can it handle 10-12 and a chunk/head?

Thanks in advance!
I know where there's a used 1306 built by Nick for sale.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Century is cutting down the 13'10" Tip Tornado Super Match Graphex to 13' because Ryan wanted 13' and Ryan calls it the Drum Gun. Century is $$$$$ and is probably the best of all these blanks but Best comes with a Premium Price.

I had been trying to figure this out for the entire past year..

1 - 8 of 8 Posts