Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, my family and I will be at Camp Hatteras for 5 days this weekend. We were going to take them surf fishing. What would be biting right now and on what bait? Best place to go or can we fish right from the campground.

Thanks Bill

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Throw some pieces of shrimp out on a river rig you should catch blow toads, mullet, black drum, & Puppy drum. Throw a grub on a 1/2 oz or 3/8 oz jig and catch trout & pups.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you so much. Just to clarify. By grub you mean a live grub from the baits hop or a fake plastic grub? If plastic is there a better color than others.

One other thing is I have never done this before. I see people talking about breaks in the water to look for fish. Etc. How do you find these spots?

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
You are in luck old Garboman happens to know something about Rodanthe.

At Dawn, Drive North from the KOA up to Rodanthe Pier and park in the lot, should be plenty of room. If you arrive in the middle of the day your odds of success go way down as the fish usually are done eating Breakfast.

Bronzebck is referring to plastic grubs or Berkley Gulp grubs. Any live Grubs found at Hatteras Island Bait/Tackle Shops are working behind the counter and are unsuitable for bait.

Approximately 100 yards to the North and also 100 yards to the South of the pilings there will be an out suck at low tide, fish will congregate around these out sucks or be close by in the Slough.

The Slough on the South Side of the Pier is called Possum Slough named for a Rodanthe resident that was brutally murdered some years back on dark and windy October night.

Trout will usually be on the North Side of the pier if the slough is wide enough this time of year.

The campground typically has a Sandbar point in front of it and depending on the surf conditions a break in the bar would be either on the North or South side of it. Puppy Drum can be feeding right on top of the bar, or may be in the slough. A person was hit by a Shark on this point last summer which is something to consider if you plan on wading...

In the old days before a permit was required I would just recommend driving beach until you find the hole, these days if you are only going to be in town for five days it pays just to walk over.

Even with this years El Nino crabs are likely buried up in the mud until Spring time, but since I am not there at the moment it is only a guess on my part.

Depending on wind conditions It also may be worthwhile on your part to drive South one day and fish on the other side of Cape Point in warmer water.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts