Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So.. here again I find my self drinking more than I should since checking the weather for Rodanthe this up coming week... Talking about rain and wind up to 30 mph from about Monday thru Friday. Me and my group always rent a house on the ocean to surf fish. Last year we went to Nags Head the 2nd week of October and the same thing happened --- WIND!!! My question is this.. are there any areas to fish in the back waters around Rodanthe (maybe hide from some of the wind) I have a permit so plan on going to Oregon Inlet and seeing how far out of the wind we can get.. JUST BUMBED OUT AFTER WAITING ANOTHER YEAR!!!!

·
Registered
2,867 Posts
You can park at the public boat launch area on Myrna Peter's road. turn at the Community Center and follow it to the docks.

If you stop in and ask at Hatteras Jacks you can park there and walk to the Sound. Beware of a big Dog named Rex who will want you to pet and feed him.

You can go further south to the Campground across from Ramp 23 and spend the day out of a NE wind there.

The Jug Handle bridge cut right through a Bay where I used to cast net mullet back in the day. This Bridge also cuts right over a private grave yard where a close friend of mine is buried.

Used to hunt ducks and geese back there in the winter time too. it was real quiet in the Sound back then and I lived in a house that is right next to the access turnabout now. Could walk out the back door with a shotgun over my shoulder and it would be like going into the Wild as soon as the road noise went away walking into the setting sun and time went away.

Bridge pilings may be a fish attractor these days, it was pretty shallow there near shore back in the day, I never fished with a rod and reel back there I would just use a cast net for bait and in a blow I would fish the piers either Avon or Rodanthe and not be fishing the beach much as the pier is where you are in deep water where the critters hang out.

·
Registered
224 Posts
It was 3-4ft deep all the way out to the boating channel. I didn’t fish the bridge supports but focused on the grass and sand spots. Cold front came through and either shut the bite down or chased everything out to deeper waters. It was cool to drift over the old ship wreck. Amazed they built the bridge over it.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well.. that was fun but not!... got down Saturday evening... fished back yard on Sunday.. Surf was a little rough with 5oz barley holding.. caught a few small whiting. Went to ramp 32 on Monday.. perfect day.. but again surf was rough with 6oz holding.. caught as many 12 inch blues that you wanted on cut mullet from Hatteras Jacks!! No other bait worked... Then it went all to H_ _ _ overnight. Woke up Tuesday to 30 mph sustained wind with gust to 50... Was to stay until Saturday... but came home on Wednesday since there was no fishing to be done!! Best part was stopping and talking to the guys at Hatteras Jacks!!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts