Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions on laying out guides (rings) on a zziplex FT to be used only for field and tournament work. Using a multiplier (abu 5500-6500) reel and throwing the 150 gr class. Should the guides be places on the "soft" or the "hard" side??? Plan to use Terry Carrols suggested spacing.

thanks guys

Tommy

·
Registered
680 Posts
Tommy. i have been building rods for a long time, and there are conflicting views on that one. i first heard it at clemons tackle many,many years ago. most said put conventional on the hard spline and spinning on the soft. i go with that. the best thing for you to do [in my opinion ] is to get some of that fibered packageing tape and put them on the hard. try it out, and then put them on the soft . try out both, and form your own opinion and go with your gut feeling. i feel that with the casts you are making these days you will make the right choice.:cool: :cool:

·
Registered
474 Posts
Tommy,

I'm not sure as to which is the soft or hard side of the rod. For casting a conventional reel, the guides should be on the inside of the curve. For catching, the guides go to the outside.

I recently had a rod built for me and the builder put the guides to the outside of the curve. I accepted the rod not knowing what the results would be. I took this rod to the park and made a couple warm up casts. On the third cast I put some muscle into the cast. Getting ready for the fourth cast I looked up the rod and saw all the guides were offset about 15 degrees to the left. This problem was amplified high guides and a poorly constructed handle to tip joint. To minimize this problem, I have reduced the amount of wax on the joint, fource the tip on solid and concentrate on putting power to to rod directly in line with the spine/reel alignment.

All that said, is your rod single or multiple composite? I assume it is multi-composite construction. If so, the manner in finding the spine is different than that of the typical single composite rod.

Hope this helps,
Don

·
Registered
578 Posts
For pure casting , I would put it on the inside of the curve where the Spine is located . This should prevent torquing of the blank .
Why do some people call it the spline and other the spine ?

·
DISTANCE CASTING SPONSOR
3,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys,

I was thinking that the best for fishing and the best for casting may be different. Makes sense to me that the guides being on the hard or"outside" of the spline would make fighting a fish easier. My real question concerns field casting. looks to me like building on the hard side would tend to stiffen the rod a bit and the soft side would make it a little easier to load. I may not be able to play around with the guides, depends on when the build takes place.

Tommy

·
Registered
273 Posts
spline

Tommy
Ryan puts all guides on the inside of the curve as Conn says. His explanation is exactly that of Conns.
Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts