Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of someone near Silver spring MD area that does rod repair, or a shop within the area of MD,VA? I have a custom rod I need a few eyes replaced.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Closest place might be Shore Tackle & Custom rods on Kent Island.

It's possible a person, not a full on shop is closer - but I don't know.

·
Registered
2,621 Posts
If the ceramic rings broke out or cracked, just get same size replacement rings and glue them back in with JB Weld, I usually have my fingers in a plastic bag and I wipe the excess JB Weld around the ring to make it look presentable. Sometimes you have to clean up old rust or glue on the guide before you glue the new one in. Leave enough JB Weld around the ceramic to prevent it moving after the epoxy sets.

You can buy ring eyelet assortments on Ebay from China, which will give you spares when other rings crack or break out and then do not have to worry about the thread or epoxy matching the unbroken guides. I usually take a same size guide and using an electric grinder grind off the metal holding the ceramic.

If the entire guide needs to be replaced usually the price is $5 or $10 per wrap plus the cost of the guide at Tackle Shops.

I glued in multiple guides over the years, nothing last forever and I am of the belief that Fuji's fanciest most expensive Torzite guides crack and fall out just as easily as the Fuji $4.00 Guide.

·
Registered
75 Posts
If you're not in a hurry, Shore Tackle could work but their communication and organization skills leave a lot to be desired. My experience with them was generally negative but the result seems satisfactory so, they can do the work. Most tackle shops only do rod tips, they won't wrap other eyelets. A web search may reveal some individual rod builders in the area. I seem the recall one in Annapolis. If you want to consider taking it on yourself, check out mudhole.com. They have supplies and educational resources for rod builders, including newbs.

·
Registered
404 Posts
There used to be a place in Virginia...I go to *Fred's down in Waldorf (I think Anglers can put an eye on for you too). The cost is about 15 bucks per eye. You can always invest in some heat shrink wrap and cheap eyes off of Ebay or from Walmart.

...professionally, they use a machine that secures the wrap/foot of the eye. It rotates as the adhesive dries.

·
Registered
1 Posts
There is (or was anyway) a place off Lee Hwy in Arlington, VA. The owner, Phil, has repaired a few guides for me back in 2019, I think. Excellent guy and quality work. He’ll give you a hand written invoice and call you in a few days when it’s ready. Parking is a bear so park across the street at the grocery store. He services reels too. One last thing, Phil doesn’t take credit. He’s old-school but in the best way. His shop is like stepping back in time.

·
Registered
75 Posts
There used to be a place in Virginia...I go to *Fred's down in Waldorf (I think Anglers can put an eye on for you too). The cost is about 15 bucks per eye. You can always invest in some heat shrink wrap and cheap eyes off of Ebay or from Walmart.

...professionally, they use a machine that secures the wrap/foot of the eye. It rotates as the adhesive dries.
I called Angler's when I needed repair a couple months ago. They only do rod tips.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you feel like taking a ride to the eastern shore, call sandy. She is right outside of Chestertown and works from her house. "Sandy's fishing rod repair" 443-480-8065. She has some photos of her work on facebook as well.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Check out Steve Fogle. He's in Walkersville, Md. He does great work on new and repairs. He's done a few for me over the years. PM for his contact info. He's on FB too. I would post his info on here but not sure if that's allowed.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts