Pier and Surf Forum banner

Rod & Reel Storage

2K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  ez2cdave 
#1 ·
Looking for a product to store my rods when driving back and forth from the beach to my house. I would want a wrap with a bunch of sleeves but can't find one. Does anyone have any advice for a rod and reel storage that is portable?

#2 · (Edited)
Thats may be a tall order outside of DIY. My vehicle had factory aero bars so for me the solution was a set of Thule Ski Racks picked up of craigslist. If that's not an option for you then you may need to get creative with something like the "Rod Bazuka Pro" if you want a hard case and wrap the rods before putting them in. When I put my rods up at home I store them vertically to avoid warping and each is stored in a sleeve. For the sleeves/wraps I went to a crafts store that sells fabric and purchased "leftovers" from flannel bolts. These can be tailored to fit any Rod length and shouldn't cost you much to have an alteration shop sew them up for you (if you don't know someone who can work a singer). My sleeves are individually sewn but I am sure you could get creative with doubling the fabric and sewing compartments to accommodate multiple rods.

For my reels I purchased a few Shimano Bhaltair bags which have configurable compartments and are capable of holding large spinners (Large bag) or numerous conventional reels. My salt spinning gear is stored in the large bag, Conventionals in a medium bag, and FW baitcasters and small trout spinners in a small bag.

Suitcase Bag Hand luggage

Bag Auto part Hand luggage Suitcase

#4 ·
What i did was use some pvc pipe from home depot or your local home improvement store put a cap on end and another with a screw cap on the other use some metal tie down straps to tie it to the roof rack on your car. Keeps rods safe and dry on the top of your car. Use a reel bag like AtTheBar suggest and your good to go. You can get the pvc in different sizes 2in-10in i have a 6in tube and i can carry 6 12ft rods with no problem. Dont mind the scratches have to repaint been in the closet for a while.

#6 ·
I use a truck tool box. It is a slim line tool box from UWS and I put fabric on the inside. I wrap my reels in cloth bag to protect them, put them on the bottom then wrap rods and place on top. I just slide box in back of my truck and pack the rest of the family's beach stuff on top. When we had the Explore , I had a Hitch rack on the back and I bolted the tool box to it. Pretty much crush proof and I picked mine up off of Craigslist for less than $50.

#8 ·
Thanks for all the replies. I like the idea of PVC with foam to protect the eyes. then I will probably get an old cooler and wrap the reels in cloth. To cover the PVC im thinking a piece of foam with a flat piece of plastic on a hinge that can flip up and down to lock the rods in.

#9 ·
If you have two piece rods Go to thrift store find two golf club bags with the tube inserts . they are fabric filled with rod tubes already . put the two tops of them together. Use the straps from the bag to clip into each other or tie them off.these bags usually have big outside pockets for your reels as well And voila you have a nice Reel rod bag. Seen another fishermen do this. He said most all bags are water ,rain proof. With tuff outside materails.

I've also seen people take the rod tubes out the golf bag
and use them in the boats gunnals for Rod storage or in there garage..

#10 · (Edited)
what i did was use a latch and pad lock kit. with the locking cap drill the holes to the latch and fold over the latch and use a padlock. use a rivet so no one can unscrew it. put some foam on the bottom and top cap to protect the tips and butt of the rods. when i had my van i could leave the tub on the roof rack all year round rods stayed safe and dry. if you cut the tube the long way and use the hinge you still can get water inside the tube and rust up your rods. cap on both ends stays water tight.

#15 ·
"I am going to start sewing rod socks for the rods to ride in inside the tube as I think they need that extra protection."

I would rethink posting something like this, a suggestion would be;

"I just finished cleaning my Shotgun and just got back from the Sports Club after eating a giant steak with shots of Jack and Budweiser Bottled Beer, I may have ask my significant other to sew up some rod socks for me cause I am busy next weekend watching the playoffs with my buddies"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.