Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Allow me to introduce myself.I am a Surf Fisherman,and love to fish for Stripers,and anything that swims.(almost)
Last year I purchased a Mag525,with 50lb. PP, and a St.Croix 10'6" Heavy Power Rod.It is my first conventional surf outfit.The distance I am getting ,is less than I expected.Is the rod too heavy?

Joe :D

·
Registered
766 Posts
If you can throw 8-bait 150yds, you need to teach EVERYBODY else how to do it!!! 120 yds with 8-bait is a good cast, many people average 85-100yds.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Adam is correct as usuall. With a 10'6" rod, (btw you have a very good one) 85 to 100yds with 8nbait is a very good cast. Alot of the guys are using 12' heavers and are only in the 115 to 135 yd range, consistently.

If you are hitting 85+ yds, I'd be content and continue to work on technique.

·
Registered
680 Posts
have you tried 20# power pro. with your set-up you are in good shape. with a 525 you will get more line and it will handle just about anything that comes up the coast.i use 20lb mono for drum and have no trouble, 15# for stripers in IRI and it is all you need.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have tried 30# PP,but the 50# seemed to be easier to cast.Once I get used to the 525,it is a fast reel,I will try the 30# again.
Thanks for all the great responses. :)

Joe

·
Registered
7 Posts
Joe, everyone is right in what they have said here,150 yds is out of the question with 8nbait, I would get on the grass and see for sure what you are throwing with the different weights and different casting styles but it sounds to me that technique is the problem. Get someone to watch or do a video of you cast and see where you need to improve, that is the best way I know of.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts