Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
What combo do yall use to fish with artificials from shore?

Length, action, spin or cast etc.

THANKS, KB :)

·
Registered
374 Posts
please specify weight too.

in most situations on the chesapeake bay, you'll find me with a 7' fast action st. croix rod paired with a 2500 size Shimano spinning reel. 4000 is probably the better size for line capacity.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Surf,1/20z up t0 3oz.

The lures C2H&G referred to in the artificial question post

KB.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Referring back to the other thread with the artificials - those lures are mostly tossed with a 7' Berkley Lighting rated 3/8 - 1 1/2 with a Abu 6500C3. If I need extra distance or using heaver lures, I'll use a 7.5' BPS rod rated to 2oz matched with a 6500C4. (I'm still in a hunt for a conv. 9' Tica to toss metal in the surf). For lighter lures and accuracy counts (since my conv still goes wide left sometimes), I use the similar spinning set up. (Cheap but good setup - 7' Shakespeare Exursion $20 with a Jarvis Walker 2000 $15).

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
I use an 8' St Croix Tidemaster rod that is rated for 1/2 to 2 oz lures. I use an ABU 6500 CS Mag with 14 lb test Trilene Inshore line. This outfit works great for me for casting lures in the bay, jetty, and surf up to 2 oz. If you need to cast 3 oz lures, I would go with a 9' rod and spinning reel for casting lures in the surf. Using a 9' conventional setup is very tiring for casting lures in the surf.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Using a 9' conventional setup is very tiring for casting lures in the surf.
Sandcrab - Just curious on the remark above. What makes it more tiring? Is it mentally tiring to remember the thumb action or is it physically tiring because it's a different cast?
Not trying to be smart a**, just seeing what the difference is. Plus, I'm ready to pluck down the loot for a 9' conv for casting into the surf.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I use 7 footers for 1 1/2 oz and lighter. An 8 footer for 2 - 3 oz and a 10 footer for 3 oz and up. All fast action rods with shimano spinning reels 4000 size or bigger. There isn't one rod can do it all.

9' tiring? and i thought you were hardcore Sandcrab. :p j/k :D honestly, i get worn out with my 8 footer after an hour or so of plugging up top. C2HG, get yourself that 9' combo, some situations it is needed.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Joey,

You said it - tiring. My wrists kill me after a long day at IRI bouncing bucktails or jerking metal with my 8' conventioal setup. Working poppers is a little easier but bottom lures really takes a lot of work.

I have a 9' tuna stick (conventional) that I used to use for San Diego tuna fishing. I have tried to use it for casting lures in the 2-4 ounce range at the surf. Too heavy to hold the rod with the conventional reel on it for hours at a time. Maybe a light graphite conventional rod would ease make it easier to use.

IMHO - If you want to cast plugs in the ocean, get yourself a 9' spinner so you can use it all day long. (That 9' Tica spinner looks really sweet matched up with a spinning reel that weighs less than 20 ounces ;).

Don't get me wrong - I love conventionals and have at least a dozen of them but I would go with a spinner for casting larger lures (over 2 ounce) in the surf.

Just my .02.

·
Registered
210 Posts
To me easier to handle and makes more sense to have the reel on the BOTTOM rather than on top. Spinning setup much less tiring, no energy spent fighting to keep the reel on top. Any thoughts on this monumental observation?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The most used combo here is 12ft carp rod with low mount 7000 or SL20SH. 20# line and m
etal spinners 2 - 4oz. Outfit is light enough to use for several hours if need to.
-ruff-

1 - 12 of 12 Posts