Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm looking for a heavy boat rod. Something I can mount an international 50w on with a thick fore grip. I need something with an ass end long enough to put the reel at chest level while strapped into a belt. Really a reel seat sitting at 24 inches or so would be good. With a fairly long fore grip. Let me know if you guys can think of anything.

·
Registered
515 Posts
What will you be fishing for shark or tuna I would go with a penn tuna stick or shimano tallus stand up or rail rod a little cheaper maybe senator rod they run $90 or a penn mariner or even a shakspeare tide water they are cheap and have a graphite reel seat but they are $60.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I'm thinkin you're gonna have to look at a custom. Store-bought setups generally run a 15-18 inch to center of reel seat. I'll run by and ask Ken if he has anything that will fit the bill.

·
Registered
983 Posts
ok go get you a shakespeare tidewater, i know shakespeare doesnt have the best reputation in the world, especially on here but the tidewater rated 50#-130# is one rod they did a hell of a job on, this thing is nothin short of a beast :eek: my friend had an avet reel mounted on this rod and literally wenched up a 200# worsaw grouper, it had no problems wutsoever, just make sure you get the one with the roller guides on it, trust me the rod is nearly indestructable and it will serve its purpose :rolleyes:
hope this helps
Tight lines and God bless bud :fishing:

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You might want to rethink that high of a reel seat for a 50 wide you lose alot of leverage
Yeah, the reel seat doesn't have to sit at 24 inches. To be honest, I don't know exactly how long the butt needs to be. The reason why I need a longer butt than a regular boat rod is because this particular setup would be used on piers, and for swordfishing on a headboat. The headboat I go out on has a really high rail, so I'm trying to think of a rod that would be best suited for that. Then again, I do a lot of offshore fishing on private boats as well, so it would be a shame to have a 50w on a rod I couldn't use for those trips too. I'm open to all suggestions, and I'll keep browsing around. Thanks.

·
Registered
497 Posts
you going on the rudee angler trip you should be able to get fully locked in with a full harness i have 2 50-100lb penn tuna sticks with a tld 50 and 70vs international on them and love the rods

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
you going on the rudee angler trip you should be able to get fully locked in with a full harness i have 2 50-100lb penn tuna sticks with a tld 50 and 70vs international on them and love the rods
Yeah, I went on two of the first three overnighters they went on. The rods I have and their rods didn't cut it when I was on the side of the boat. Before the next one I go on I'll probably get a belt that sits a bit higher too. I'll check out the tuna sticks. Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
515 Posts
I was thinking of going on that head boat what would you get I have a '6 billfisher stand up 50-100 line and a penn senator 2 50-80 line 9/0. I use them for sharking the stand up rod has no reel and the senator rod has a 9/0 on it. So what do you guys use I do not want to pay $800 for a tigara I also want to use it for sharks okuma makes a lever drag rip off of the tld what about that.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
I'm gonna second Catfish on this one. The Shakespeare Tidewater is an excellent rod for the money. I have a Senator 6/0 mounted on the Tidewater 30-80# for surf sharking and pier king rigging. The rod has lots of backbone and will stay with anything short of a tuna.

The 30-80 is 6' and the 50-130 is 5'6".

The only thing I'm not thrilled with is the rollers. They aren't Aftco, and therefore require a little extra maintenance (ie two drops of oil after every trip).

Evan

·
Registered
515 Posts
I'm gonna second Catfish on this one. The Shakespeare Tidewater is an excellent rod for the money. I have a Senator 6/0 mounted on the Tidewater 30-80# for surf sharking and pier king rigging. The rod has lots of backbone and will stay with anything short of a tuna.

The 30-80 is 6' and the 50-130 is 5'6".

The only thing I'm not thrilled with is the rollers. They aren't Aftco, and therefore require a little extra maintenance (ie two drops of oil after every trip).

Evan
Well for $60 you can not beat it but the only thing is i think it is worth $30 to get a metal reel seat if you hook a 8 foot shark with that it is not hard to see that breaking.

·
Registered
983 Posts
yea Kingfisherman23 i got the same setup, and my best bro has a that avet set up on the 80-130 they are beast rods, we have seen some grueling battles with fish on those rods and they definetly hold up to the challenge, after a 6 hour long fight with a hammerhead down in south padre we thought the rod would be about shot but it never gave it a second thought, they are pretty cheap as far as boat rods go but they far exceed their price in performance :);)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts