Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide on a new surf rod and I am leaning toward the tsunami or oceanmaster. When it comes to weight rating, if it says 6-10oz on the oceanmaster, is that 6 oz then bait, or maybe 5oz of lead and an ounce of bait? I am asking this because I want something I can use all the time, and most of the time I can get aware 4 or 5 oz. Tsunami does, but oceanmaster does not make a conventional 12'er 4-10oz or 5-10oz. I know you who have them (oceanmaster 6-10oz) love them. Do you guys throw less than six ounces of lead with it?

todd

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Got a couple of OMs rated 6 ounce to 10, and most of the time I throw 4 and chunk of bunker or five and bunker. Pretty much gaurantee a chunk of bunk is over an ounce, and I have never had a problem. Out at AI, seems 4 is minimum though and six pretty much norm. It is nice to know that if conditions dictate, can go 8nbait or the occasional ten, but I'd say for me, sweet spot is 5 ounce or six with bait.

Have Jeep will travel. :D

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
Load it up!

However you figure it (with or without bait) - The rod needs 6 ounces to load.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you all...

For all the input you have given me. I was always more of a spontaneous purchaser, but this time I wanted to make a well informed decision. I have decided to go with the oceanmaster 12' rated 6-10oz.

Sorry ya'll for all the questions, but I have learned from past mistakes, research b4 you buy. Hang in there the trout are coming:D .

todd

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Todd, :(
Sorry to tell you but I just went to BPS here and picked up the last 12' OM in stock. The guy said their next shipment won't be in until March and there's a 4 week back order if you go thru the catalog.

Man, it sure looks nice matched up with my 30shv.

Just messing with you. ;) Did they have many in stock when you went up there Monday? I've been eyeballing the OM myself.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Bassn

There is a 12' OM on ebay right now. I contacted the seller and the reserve is set at $95.00. (too high for me right now) He has a tackle shop in Texas and I got the impression he would sale them direct for the 95 + 12 shipping. Here is the auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36167&item=3657861448

I suggested he contact sand flea and put a couple up on the swap meet here.

After watching cdog with his a couple weeks ago, it's next on my list. Just saving my pennies up for it.

Good luck,

mapcaster

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks mapcaster for the site, I decided to go to BPS instead.

C2H&G--They have two more. You know, I got kinda worried when I started reading your post. I knew I had a half day today so I had it planned to go and get it. Started reading your post, and was like "[email protected], ruined my plans". lol.

Anyway, went and threw it tonight. Hit 318 ft with 8oz, and 315ft with 6oz. New personal best. Increased from my last one by 43'. :D

I was wondering. Who all would be interested in getting together sometime when the weather turns and practicing. I see D.C., Maryland, and now N.C. all have casting teams. Don't know if any of you would be interested in forming a team, but I'm in. And if it is just to practice, I'm up for that too.

todd

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
bassn, would love to team up for casting practice but I aint ready to jump into th long distance casting. Let me know, thinking about going out locally tomorrow to get to know th OM a lil better.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes I put the slosh on it. I decided not to get rid of my jarvis walker and just put my 6500 abu on it. Thing is with the slosh, How much do the cintrifigul brakes actually slow it down? Will it make a huge difference is I take them out? or can i take out just one side?

todd

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Funny Story ...sorta

Bassn when I first got my slosh I just went out an tossed it an smoked my thumb. Eventually I had a calus(sp) built up from where I had burnt it so much an went through alot of line. Then I read on a board about putting in brakes. Went an looked in th box an sure enough there were brakes in it.

I started out with 2 reds an now I am at 1 red an 1 white. Aint broke so I aint gonna mess with it for awhile but might move down to just a white at some point. Play with it an you will find th right combo for you.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts