Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got this link from the Rod Rack thread (Thanks Triggerfish).

http://www.rodmounts.com/RodLoftDeluxeImagepage.ivnu

I'm trying to set something up in my SUV but can't see paying a C-note for it.

Anybody rig something similar to this up in their vehicle or know of a cheaper solution?

(I would consider the front racks but then my SUV won't fit in the garage.)

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Try this, works great....
You will need:

2 four-foot pieces of 1” x 2” oak slats (available at Lowes) couple of bucks
4 brass ringed cinch pins – rings are 1.5” in diameter (available at Lowes in the specialty hardware section) – couple of bucks
3 sets of Berkley Twist Lock Rod Racks model TLR1 ((available at most fishing tackle stores) $11 and change each.

Berkley Racks

Entire rig should run less than $50 and can be assembled in 1 – 2 hours less drying time if you stain and varnish.

The oak crosspieces should be cut to a length that fits between the front and rear clothes hooks on your vehicle. For my 1999 Suburban the front slat is 44.5” and the rear is 39.5”.

At this point stain can be applied. I put a coat of light oak followed by 2 coats of clear satin polyurethane varnish.

Oak Slat and Cinch Pin

Drill holes in the end of each slat. The diameter should be just sufficient so that the cinch pins will friction fit without splitting the oak. A light coating of grease should help (I did not use grease as the fit was snug with a light tap of a hammer.

The four-rod sets of Berkley racks mount on the slats (hardware comes with the sets). Mount 1 set dead center with 1 mounted to the left and right of the center rack.

Front Twist Lock Rack

Rear Butt End Rack

The finished racks hang on the clothes hooks. The twist lock racks mount up front with the twist ring forward. The butt ends mount in the back. Holds up to 12 rigged rods (My 11.5’ Pinnacle fits without breaking it down).

Completed Racks

And voila, security and convenience:

Racks Installed

Good luck, hope this helps....Tightlines

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
You are the fishing God Hat80! I will lay down at your feet and worship now.

Hey, I noticed a baitcaster in there. You haven't completely gone the way of the dark side. There is still hope yet.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Yea man, those are my Drum rigs. Only break um out at the OBX. No need to use the big guns in the skinny water around here. I don't even use a shockleader until I cross the Va. Nc. border :cool:....Tightlines

·
Registered
4,472 Posts
uh oh, hat, don't mention you don't use a shock leader when the distance casting guys are around.
what # test do you use? I've noticed 20 lb tends to do just fine with 4 ounces as long as you aren't really trying to whip it out there.

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
Hey Husky, the rigs I had the other day were all spooled with 25# Ande. Never had a problem with 4oz or even 6oz with the 25#. Then again I'm not trying to hit the Moon when fishing this area. However, the shockleader is a must when whipping 8 & bait at the banks....Tightlines

·
Registered
3,681 Posts
chest2head&glassy, no that wasn't me but that dosn't surprise me. About 2 or 3 years ago a bunch of us out on the point (ramp 44) saw a guy from Texas with this setup. Hence forth, we all built a set. At the time there was a group of crooks taking peoples rods from thier bumper racks. These guys had balls, they would walk right up under your house and take your rods, tacklebox, everything. This setup gives you security when you can't see your gear. We have a house in Rodanthe when I'm on the beach I use the bumper rack but anyplace else my gears in the truck. It's a sad thing but the days when you could trust everyone on HI are gone...Tightlines

·
Registered
23 Posts
Chest2Head - If you can fit your SUV in the garage, you definitely don;t have enough fishing gear!! Garages aren't supposed to be for vehicles.......

HAT - saw your fancy shmancy rack earlier on HE. I've printed the specs and plans out. but haven't had the time to do the shopping and building yet. Great job and thanks for the info.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Well, I got all excited about this newest building project only to discover that my Montero really isn't wide enough inside to accomidate all that I would like for it to. In fact, I doubt if I could fit two rod holders side by side. So, I guess I'll continue using the straps for now. It would be hard for me to justify buying a $40K Surburban to my wife just so the rods will fit! LOL!

I have been using lockable Yakima ski racks attached to my luggage rack to haul my long rods. I often stow the shorter (7') ones inside on the straps. On my next OBX trip in a few weeks, I'll now have to haul four kayaks, which eliminates space for the ski racks. I'm sure that I'll figure out something by then.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.