Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am currently useing an 11' pinacle shoreline classic rod with a penn 950ss spinning reel. I have a penn 309 on the same type rod. My question is, should I get the 15' diawa emcast I've been looking at? Which reel would work better on a 15' rod? Will there be a significant difference in casting distance ? I do need to improve casting technic, but I'll get there.

·
Registered
5,354 Posts
What do you think you need a 15' rod for? Asking because thats alot of rod to fish with all day or night. Distance can only be bought to a point. Work on your form and distance will come. A 15' rod with bad form will only make your distance shorter.

·
Banned
328 Posts
Hi again Charlesw

I agree, don't do it, even though the price is very attractive. As I mentioned on the other forum i'm at Hatteras now using 2 of the rods that Walt D did for me. Beautiful rods, wraped the right way. If ya want to upgrade that would be my suggestion. Check out Purple Haze in the rod building forum. Gonna use her tonight!

·
Registered
498 Posts
I fish with and around some of the best casters in the world on Hatteras's Cape Point,and I have yet to see a 15 foot rod.Most throw 12 to 13 footers and 98% are throwing convential.

Switching to convential might give you some extra yardage,investing in a custom rod and good reel might help ya,taking a casting lesson will help you.Practice Practice Practice

·
Registered
4,346 Posts
Work on your form and distance will come.
on Hatteras's Cape Point,and I have yet to see a 15 foot rod.Most throw 12 to 13 footers and 98% are throwing convential.
taking a casting lesson will help you.Practice Practice Practice
That's the truth. Your form is the key if you want to throw it out there. A longer rod isn't going to help if you have crappy casting skills. If anything it's going to shorten the cast because you can't get the rod around fast enough. Look at a decent 12'-13' conventional, and check out some of Tommy Farmer's videos on YouTube and watch his form. ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Charles, I saw your other post and we fish similiar areas targeting similiar species. Great info above and I would also like to add that the 15 footers give way to much leverage to the fish. A good Fall day and the Bull Reds will wear you out with a 15 footer. Good shark or big ol Southern ray would be rough as well on the 15 footer.

·
Registered
990 Posts
Long Rods

I fish the second bar for bull reds and sharks and use my 15 foot fiberglass rod only as an anchor rod to slide heavy baits out there.

No way would I, even I could, cast with that beast all day.

The other posters are right. Get a shorter rod and learn to use it properly. Patience; sucess will come through practice . JMHO C2

·
Banned
328 Posts
Practice and the right equipment

for your environment is the way to go. Then more practice. I was really pleased with my Saltist 30 on my AFAW Beach until tonight. At 1st I was too timid and then I loaded her up and got one heck of a birdsnest.

Best reels come from a sponser here-Bill Reels and I don't think you can beat Walt D for making a tool (rod) into a work of art.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks all for the input. guess i was just thinking "bigger is better". I'll stick to my 11 for now and practice style, especially now that it's getting cold, and getting wet is out of the question. I do wear chest waders for casting . thanks again.

·
Premium Member
3,869 Posts
Thanks all for the input. guess i was just thinking "bigger is better". I'll stick to my 11 for now and practice style, especially now that it's getting cold, and getting wet is out of the question. I do wear chest waders for casting . thanks again.
It comes to a point where the length beocmes a hindrance, not a help.

13' is plenty length for most situations.

Even the big hitters in long distance contests rarely use anything longer than 14' and many stay in between 13'and 14' rod length.

You will see some benefit increasing one or two feet over an 11' rod, but for average size casters, after that, it doesn't really help.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts