Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new here, so please forgive me if this has been covered a zillion times before.
Could someone please explain the differances between a 9/10 foot rod, and a 12/13 foot rod? Is it just the extra casting distance?
I currently use 9 and 10 foot sealines with emblem x's as my beach rigs. I will be adding a rig or two this year, and am conidering a longer rod.
I mainly fish the OB, throwing both bait and lures.
10 footers seem to be a good all'round choice for me. Even though I stand at 6ft, a longer rod just seems that it would be too much.
Any thoughts on this subject??

And also, while I'm here. Does anyone have any thoughts on braided lines? I'm thinking about trying one of the superlines this year.
Pros? Cons? Was thinking the low streach might help the hookset when throwing lures way out there??
I generally use a high vis, 17lb mono.

·
Registered
4,614 Posts
Never used too...

Bryon,

I use mono exclusively on all my beach tackle. I just bought a 9' jetty rod/reel setup and put 30# Spiderwire Stealth line on it. It kicks butt! Longer casts for lure fishing is what I really needed it for and it has not let me down. It is my only setup with braided line. One note of caution if you plan on using braid for lure fishing - Check the line frequently to make sure that it is wound on tight - especially when fishing at night.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I just got done preaching a sermon about rod length in another thread. (Spinning Reel and Rod Recommendations?)

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Byron / PA,casting distance has alot to do with it but the longer rod will also help to keep your line above th breakers. When th line is in th breakers your bait tends to get moved around more.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.