Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a shimano br4500 recently and haven't got a rod for it yet. What is the best rob for this reel, and what line should i spool this reel to max my distance on the cast? Any info would be appreciated.

thanks
crawfish!!

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Off the web...

It holds 250 yds of 17 lb test. I hope you got the 4500B version as I heard they had problems with the "A" versions.

Use mono in the 15-20 lb test, depending upon where, how, and what you are going to fish with. For tough lines, Trilene Big Game and ZoYuri Hybrid will stand up with the best of them. For braided lines - PowerPro or Stealth lines in 20 or 30 lb test (around 8 lb test diameter) will enable you to cast further...Be forewarned not to use line too strong (I'd say over 30 lb test) or your drag will not be able to compensate...

Just a matter of preference. I use mono on all my saltwater surf rigs, braid on my 9' jetty setup, and mono on my 8' inlet setup (although I am going to try Stealth 20 lb test on my Abu 6500 CS Mag as the reel is a levelwind).

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Had a brain fart...must be lunchtime...

The rod...

What type of fishing you do dictates what type and size rod you will need...surf fishing...inlet fishing...jetty fishing??

Surf fishing in the Atlantic - 10-12' rods. The taller the rod (and rod holder), the more line will be kept off the breakers. This will enable you to know when you are getting a hit.

Inlet fishing - 8'-9' although I prefer a 8' rod.

Jetty fishing - 9' is the normal here. Don't want too big a rod as you wil be casting lures and lugging a plug bag.

Bay fishing - Any rod will work....

Freshwater - Don't get me started... ;)

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks sandcrab!!

you've brought your entire arsenals on here!!! I like something in between, multifunction, i can use for bay, pier, and from shore.. look like 9ft is the length i'm looking for.... something i can cast 4nbait, and some lures... i believe it's a btr4500b. would mono or braided lines make better casting distance? once again thanks for your tips...

crawfish

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
Re: thanks sandcrab!!

CrawFish said:
you've brought your entire arsenals on here!!! I like something in between, multifunction, i can use for bay, pier, and from shore.. look like 9ft is the length i'm looking for.... something i can cast 4nbait, and some lures... i believe it's a btr4500b. would mono or braided lines make better casting distance? once again thanks for your tips...

crawfish
4anbait (6 oz) with a 9 footer? Most 9' rods work up to 3 or 4 oz and adding the bait to a 4 oz sinker would be overloading the rod and push the rods capabilites. Casting lures up to 4 oz on the jetty, surf, or the bay would work...

Hard to do bay, pier, and sure with one rod...9' rod will work for bay, pier, inlet, and calm surf...Higher surf means longer rods and long rod tubes...

I use braid on my spinner/Tica 9' jetty stick... I use mono on the other dozen or so rods... ;)

D

·
0 Posts
crawfish

for the surf, surfside bait and tackle in mechanicsville has a 10' shoremaster for $26 and a 10' Abu Garcia Brute for $34.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks drum runner

I just got a penn spinfisher 11' surf rod, i know a few people who have this rod. I casted w/ it before, really like it, really light rod. But it doesn't have the distance that i'm lookin for.. maybe looking for something that i can cast 100yrds plus in the spring, chrismas shopping got me broke.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts