Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. I'm currently using a 7ft St Croix mojo inshore 15-30lb, 3/4-2oz rod for most of my lure fishing for blues and stripers. However, I realized I need more distance fishing the surf, which leads me to search for a new rod. Im currently thinking of something in the 9-10 ft range and will most likely be casting lures 2-4oz. At least thats what I have in mind.

Can you guys give me some suggestions on rods and share some of your personal preferences? I'm looking in the $200 range. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
929 Posts
Tsunami airwave elite 10"6.1-4 Fuji guides and reel seat .John skinner uses one. And suggest this rod .he says he likes it better then his gloomis 10fter.I just picked one up and haven't really played with it but to cast In the field.it is a 70-30 split rod though.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
9 ft st croix legend 3/4 - 4 oz rated. I paired it with the 4K penn conflict spoiled with 15 lb braid. 70-30 rod split but there is a st croix 6 ft rod case that it can fit into. Sorry for the over budget but at 200 dollars most rods are the same as the next. If you wanna save some cash I can cast my 8 ft penn prevail just as far as the legend with a few tweaks in casting technique for the stiffer prevail. Be wary of the marketing most companies apply trying to make their stuff seem better than it really is.

·
Registered
929 Posts
This thread has been posted 100 times go to "The Bible" why start it over again
Yes I agree but new rods do come Out and new suggestions. That's why .just because this site sponsor by cps most are gonna suggest that. just saying ,you go up north or west ccp who. Not saying they aren't quality or great rods ..

·
Registered
540 Posts
Yes I agree but new rods do come Out and new suggestions. That's why .just because this site sponsor by cps most are gonna suggest that. just saying ,you go up north or west ccp who. Not saying they aren't quality or great rods ..
I guess we should post every week just in case something comes out. What's he gona do if he pulls the trigger based on a recommendation and some new comes out a week later

·
Registered
929 Posts
I guess we should post every week just in case something comes out. What's he gona do if he pulls the trigger based on a recommendation and some new comes out a week later
Return it within the return period or warranty period . I do it all the time with my box stores warranty. Main reason why I will only buy a rod from a box store is for the box store warranty . I hate dealing with manufactor warranty where you have to send off and pay shipping what you pay in shipping would have been more in a box store warranty.It's the plus side of buying one. It's like a pay in advance upgrade at any time when something better or newer comes out.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Then I return it and start a new thread ;)

I know there are threads already but this way I can always get more detail and ask questions that may come to mind.

·
Registered
507 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
I bought the Carolina Cast Pro 10' 1-4oz for my trip this fall, based on recommendations I saw in a similar thread in Sept or early October. Absolutely loved it for throwing metal from 1 to 2 ounces. Not sure how it would perform in the 3 and 4 ounce range, but it was fantastic with a 1.5oz Hopkins.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts