Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for rod for the above reel. I currently have it spooled with 20/50 # braid and 12 ft top shot of Berkley big game 25# mono. Use mainly jetties, surf, pier, bays, and estuaries. Throwing stick baits i.e. lucky craft, nomad and soft plastics. My current rod is an older Master 3476 7 ft 3 in MH spin rod rated up to 3 oz but does not load well at anything over 2 oz and feels like rod won't hold up with snap cast (I have broken off twice trying). Lob is better, but distance suffers.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A little bit more information please...how much weight will you be casting and what type of fish?
depends. Mostly Lucky Craft or Nomad 95/115 I have one Shimano Butterfly Jig that is 80 grams (prolly will use offshore but not often). Mostly inshore spotties, sand bar bass, barracuda, bonito, yellow tail, halibut, surf perch and corvina. If I do go offshore, I would be using my conventional reel (Fathom 40 LD 2 speed)

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Hopefully some one will chime in who fishes in your area. I have no experience with those species or lures. Maybe a light surf rod in the 8 to 9 foot size?

·
Registered
872 Posts
I use a Mojo Inshore with my Penn Battle II 4000 and really do love it. The rod is lighter weight and is 8' and throws 3/4 to 3 ounces. It has a good balance and won't wear you out in a day of slinging metal and lures.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts