Pier and Surf Forum banner

Rod & Cooler Rack ??? Zziplex's

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Larry 
#1 ·
Do you guys that use rod racks haul your Zziplex's any different than other rods; since they are longer? Thanks, Larry. :)

#2 ·
Larry
When you are using a bumper mounted rod rack on Hatteras Island you need to be careful with longer rods. I've touched cable and telephone lines in
Avon. Buxton and Hatteras Village with several of my longer rods.I noticed the wires before I went under them so I did not damage any of the rods.I seen one guy destroy 2 rods in Hatteras Village hitting low wires.
There are also lots of low wires on the beach road in Kittyhawk and Nagshead.I keep my rods in the truck or on top of the truck when I am not on the beach. Anything over 13ft 6in is probably going to take a hit sooner or later.Hope this helps you out.
bob

#4 ·
Hey Bob, I am thinking about welding the holders back at an angle. They are going to be on the outside of the rack. And they won't hit my truck or each other. Any comments? Thanks for your other comments about the 13'6" and eventually hitting something. Thanks, Larry. :)

#7 ·
Drumchaser, More info please! Do you have a rod & cooler rack; and do your holders angle back. My brother & I are almost ready to cut and weld aluminum. And make a pair of racks. How many inches do you angle your holders? Do you let the rod go through the holder OR do you have a bottom or a pin at the bottom of your holder? Larry. :)

#9 ·
larry, if you are making a rack, make sure you put a pin at the bottom. i saw a guy that didn't have pins and his butts were several inches below the holders. needless to say, that when he went on the beach he hit a bump and snapped the butts off four rods. :) :) :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.