Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
241 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1st I would like to say congrats to all whom attended the casting clinics this weekend , I hope the knowledge u came away with will last a life time and serve you well through all your fishing lives, lets get to that great level of 650 ft;) ;)
My question for today is I am considering a new rod and I have- not yet made up my mind if i want this rod to be compitition specific or not but lets say for the sake of compitition I want to purchase the best possible conventional casting rod that i can for my money lets say no more than $350 it must be capable of throwing at least 10 oz. sinkers. Can you pro distance casters tell me what brands and models you feel will be the best that i can buy , the reel will be mounted high not low and I was thinking Zziplex but dont know what models. tks in advance for all your responces and i will see you all at next weeks casting clinics have a wonderful week and lets pray for a sunny weekend. Tony Quander(dcfishman)

·
Registered
738 Posts
Outcast 1625 built at 12'4.5" is my favorite. Next would be the Lamiglas 1502 12'3". Those are both about $395, for $350 look at the 2p/1p Breakaways, heavier than the first two, but if you can load em, they'll throw a right good lil poke :)

Adam

·
Registered
797 Posts
outcast...

dc, i been trying to keep that Outcast quite. but the proverbial cat has been let out of the proverbial bag. so the Outcast is also my first chocie. [ i got to tell ya i do not know this adam dude, but i understand the kid can fish]. i understand zziplex makes a rod called a "straight eight". another heavy duty fisherman i know personally endorses this rod. and lastly the tried and true 2pc/1pc breakaway can throw a vw bug [RIP] a long way. i refuse to quote prices in order to protect the innocent and not adversely impact our delicate economy.

·
Registered
578 Posts
A combination 10oz and tournament rod is a tall order but if you can find a used zziplex primo HST it should do the business . This is a rod that has been used to tournament cast over 900' unfortunately not by me and will trully handle a full force cast with 10oz if you are man enough .:D

·
Registered
474 Posts
Ouch!

The best you can buy, no more than $350, it must be capable of throwing at least 10 oz. sinkers, and be a competition rod.

That's a tall order. How about the best two out of three? :)

The Cono-flex Extreme may meet your requirements.
It's 13 feet, 735 grams and rated at 5 ounces. I am told the 5 ounce rating is for competition purposes and it will cast 8 ounces. It was the first rod to cast 300 yards. The price may be a little steep at about $425 plus shipping, import fees and federal excise tax.

If you want more power, the Cono-flex Makoi Extreme is the answer. The prototypes are currently being tested in Hawaii. This is not a tournament rod. It is designed for slide bait use. It is made of the newest carbon graphite available for rod building. The length is 14'4". The blank is 745 grams or 26.3 ounces. The optimum casting weight is 8 to 10 ounces. I have seen it cast 11 ounces and 100# mono. The expected retail price for the blank is $475 plus shipping and sales tax.

Hope this helps,
Don

1 - 5 of 5 Posts