Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok this question is really 2. First would be how can i tell what oz limitations is my rod if its not printed on it? ie my 10ft spincast shakespeare alpha has a line weight of 10-25 lbs. but no lure weight.
Second is are there cheaper blanks out there cause all the ones i find have been $300+ was thinkin about eventually makin my own casting rod, since all i own is spinning. but with the prices im seein thought about just gettin a $80-$120 spinnin rod and removing the guides and starting over. obviously turning the guides over so it would be a casting rod not spinning....But im rambling. any help would be appreciated!

·
Registered
282 Posts
For cheaper blanks mudhole has their line of surf rods, called the surf rockets I think. They are Lamiglas blanks from what they say. I have one, but I have not finished building it yet, so I couldn't tell you how they fish. Hope that helps

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
What type of Blanks are you looking for? IF you search a little you can usually find some deals on clearance blanks. Also what part of NC are you located? Fishsticks is in Raleigh, they have a lot of Cheaper blanks left over from the rod expo, but nothing in a heaver.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
im located in havelock, 18 miles between moorehead and new bern, dont know much about blanks to be honest, was lookin to see roughly how much a 10-12 ft would cost to make a conventional rod, not spinning like i own already.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Typically for a finished rod 11-12' wrapped for you it would start at around 250 and go up from there if you have a builder making it for you. You can pick up a rod off the shelf cheaper but it will not be your customized rod. Living in Havolock you should touch base with Rockfish in Sneeds ferry. He can show you a couple of his customs, he has enough and needs someone to get his butt on the beach this year anyway. PM on the way.

·
Registered
368 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the info gilly, yeah was thinkin about trying to build myself so was lookin for cheap blanks, might even send Rockfish a PM see if I cant get him to head up this way to go fishin, maybe I can learn a thing or two.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.