Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks, below is an excellent fishing report. Although I won't be able to get out there this weekend, I do hope you all will be able to create some new fishing memories this week and this weekend.

Enjoy.

Peace. :cool:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
https://www.visitstmarysmd.com/blog/rockfish-explosion

ROCKFISH EXPLOSION :)
by Ken Lamb

October 26, 2015 | Rockfish have gone nitro in Southern Maryland Waters.

Breaking fish are now in the Bay from the Targets to Point No Point Light to Point Lookout. There are many small gray trout in this area. Big schools of rockfish (stripers) are located on the Eastern Shore side from Richland Point to Hooper's Straits and south to Hooper's Island Light.

The rock are crashing bait on the surface from Cove Point to the Gooses and all the way north to the Bay Bridge. Rockfish are schooled in the mouth of the Potomac spilling out into the Bay from Smith Point to the Triangle.

The better sized fish are in the southern regions where 20 to 25 inch fish are more numerous. The breaking fish further up the Bay contain more undersized fish (most 19 and 1\2 inches). The lower Potomac fish are attracting fewer birds and only dimpling the water on occasion but darken the sonar and can even be seen under the boat with water clarity allowing the sightings 20 feet down. Jiggers are using jigs up to 3 ounces to fall through the smaller fish and attract strikes from the big boys on the bottom. Trollers are finding bigger fish using heavy weights trolling around the edges of breaking fish. The smaller bucktails sassy shads and spoons are best as the fish are feeding on small to tiny bait fish. Surface lure casters find plenty of eager rock to smash their plugs but have to land a bushel of undersized ones to get a 20 incher.

There are consistent rockfish of 25 to 35 inches on structure all up and down the Bay. These big domestic fish will take live spot but the spot are just about all gone and the remaining live bait is demanding ransom prices if you can find it (mostly lower Bay Eastern Shore watermen). However, a live spot properly placed will bring an immediate strike.

The Potomac and Patuxent Rivers have rockfish on the oyster bars and sand spits and in the trenches and holes. They love small bucktails.

·
Registered
978 Posts
That's a great fish report Judy, but this is Pier and Surf. Most of us on the site don't own boats to be chasing these fish.

Request you post these reports on Tidalfish.com boating reports or the like.

The same goes for Capt. Mike. Nobody cares.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Thanks Moderator...:spam: Why don't you go find each thread and start your nagging...my God....aren't you supposed to be posting on Cali sites anyways... :/

I think her point was to explain that the fish are here -- you can get your share by hitting up Pt Lookout, or other shore areas locally, but the main point is that Rock Season is looking good. As opposed to the last few years, the fish are showing up in numbers...

Thanks Judy for the report - I was in St Mary's over the weekend and I can certainly attest to this report!

Also I do care for Mike's reports...seems to point out good facts and shows some great local catches.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Thanks Moderator...:spam: Why don't you go find each thread and start your nagging...my God....aren't you supposed to be posting on Cali sites anyways... :/

I think her point was to explain that the fish are here -- you can get your share by hitting up Pt Lookout, or other shore areas locally, but the main point is that Rock Season is looking good. As opposed to the last few years, the fish are showing up in numbers...

Thanks Judy for the report - I was in St Mary's over the weekend and I can certainly attest to this report!

Also I do care for Mike's reports...seems to point out good facts and shows some great local catches.
Sorry Amigo....this is a boaters report like I said.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
That's a great fish report Judy, but this is Pier and Surf. Most of us on the site don't own boats to be chasing these fish.

Cali--the best surf fishermen know that what the boaters are doing impacts our chances at fish in the surf. While I'm not out in the channels in the Chesapeake, knowing that stripers are running in the mid-bay means we know it's time to visit the pier at PLO or head to Kent Narrows to throw under the lights. I even visit a couple of commercial netters in the lower bay when I'm down there because it's the quickest way to figure out what's running in that neck of the woods. Don't shut people down for sharing info, even if you don't personally find it useful. Boaters can pick the "Boating Report" prefix for their reports, just like us surf guys can pick "Surf Report" or "Pier Report" for ours. That way people skip threads they're not interested in.

·
Registered
978 Posts
Cali--the best surf fishermen know that what the boaters are doing impacts our chances at fish in the surf. While I'm not out in the channels in the Chesapeake, knowing that stripers are running in the mid-bay means we know it's time to visit the pier at PLO or head to Kent Narrows to throw under the lights. I even visit a couple of commercial netters in the lower bay when I'm down there because it's the quickest way to figure out what's running in that neck of the woods. Don't shut people down for sharing info, even if you don't personally find it useful. Boaters can pick the "Boating Report" prefix for their reports, just like us surf guys can pick "Surf Report" or "Pier Report" for ours. That way people skip threads they're not interested in.
Sorry Sandflea. Disagree. Don't care what's happening in 65' of water out in the middle of the bay and what boaters are doing. Those reports don't help on what's happening in skinny water.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have to ask, why isn't anything said about Capt. Mike Starrett's fishing reports? They're boat reports. All reports are enan enjoyable read to me.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good Evening Folks, I'm happy to be able to share this report. It's for the shore men/women and those with boats. Let's all just get along, and go out and have fun fishing.

Peace.

·
Registered
7,090 Posts

Cali, it seems you're the only one who has a problem with boating reports. Is that a SOCA thing? You don't need to own a boat - plenty of charters out there. Heck I own a very nice boat but for fishing below the bay bridge it's cheaper for me to charter.

·
Registered
5,967 Posts
It's funny that 2 threads down Mr. Cali has a rainbow trout report on Pier and Surf site.

A little double standards.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
This is the reason I do not post reports anymore, except on SC/GA/ home state forum.......friends get reports PM'ed and invitations to fish. try to be helpful? gets shut down

Sand flea is dead-on on why boat reports matter......

There are good numbers of bigger fish that come in from the mouth of the bay and work their way north every fall- boat guys further south will probably run into them first.

As for Capt. Mike's reports.... there are places along the Potomac where shoreline guys can regularly catch big blue cats. His reports can help you narrow down the trend.
The other group of migratory fish are coming through the canal at the north end of the Chesapeake-boat guys are likely to find them first.

The size of the forage base being reported will help you dictate what size lures to use. Topwater will often get reaction hits regardless of size but sub-surface lures are best when you match the hatch.

When my boater friends are reporting breakers in the shallows, I start chasing for breakers by bike along the shoreline. The fall trend starts whenever breakers are concentrating along river mouths- fish will start working up the creeks.

·
Registered
612 Posts
Sigh..........

Thanks for your report Judy. Sorry about the few that don't appreciate it.

Not sure why some people in this region have a tendency to attack people.

Any hoots. Hope you all have a great week.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Sorry Amigo....this is a boaters report like I said.
Dude - go start your own site -- called CaliYellowTail's Site for ONLY shore fishermen -- this way you can moderate and remove all posts.....unless you own this site or are a forum moderator following posting guidelines, let things just be.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts