Pier and Surf Forum banner

41 - 60 of 801 Posts

·
Registered
796 Posts
Druminthesuds, no disrespect whatsoever - I totally understand. Maybe Tradewinds doesn't have it on yet - they just ordered yesterday along with Frisco Rod and Gun, I trully have no idea what the Chip Stevens Rig looks like - River

·
Registered
799 Posts
Druminthesuds, no disrespect whatsoever - I totally understand. Maybe Tradewinds doesn't have it on yet - they just ordered yesterday along with Frisco Rod and Gun, I trully have no idea what the Chip Stevens Rig looks like - River
The Chip Stevens rig is a Joe Moore rig (don't know if Joe invented it or if he just distributes it). It has a slider above the hook, a teaser loop then a barrel swivel. I have caught a lot of puppy drum on it. I have tied a rig similar to what I think yours is but haven't tied it with fluoro. I basically tie a loop for the sinker and then snell a hook on the tag end. The picture I saw of your looks like it has a teaser which is interesting. I have grown fond of trying ways to incorporate a teaser

·
Registered
203 Posts
I'm always interested to try new rigs. This River rig is definitely intriguing. I know DrumintheSuds is right that if you aren't fishing where the fish are, no rig is going to make a difference. But I also am a big believer that if you have located the fish, the right rig can make a difference at least some of the time.

I like teasers too as mentioned above, both on rigs for drum and bluefish, and also on panfish rigs. I've messed around tying my own bottom rigs for summer fishing using VMC hot skirt panfish jigs as the hooks and had good luck with them on sea mullet and small pomps last summer, although a few got bitten off by blues. As far as drum fishing I'm still learning but I caught my first citation drum last fall using the two-hook bottom rig with teasers that Tradewindsties and sells as a "puppy drum rig." I swapped the circle hooks tradewinds puts on the rig out for larger hooks.

I bought a few "Silly Willy Jigs" from FL this winter - similar to the Doc's Goofy Jig also sold down in FL. They come with a teaser and are supposedly great on pomps down there. Has anyone used them on the OBX for summer fishing? Seems like they might make a fun and effective "prospecting" lure to walk the beach with and cast on light tackle?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
I'm always interested to try new rigs. This River rig is definitely intriguing.
I did some checking around, and from what I gather, it's basically just a pompano rig tied in fluoro. I checked with a couple of my favorite shops who know Joe Moore, and that's what I got out of it.

I bought a few "Silly Willy Jigs" from FL this winter - similar to the Doc's Goofy Jig also sold down in FL. They come with a teaser and are supposedly great on pomps down there. Has anyone used them on the OBX for summer fishing? Seems like they might make a fun and effective "prospecting" lure to walk the beach with and cast on light tackle?
I've not had great luck with those jigs anywhere that wasn't either inshore, or on a boat. (and both cases, a sandy bottom in front of pilings) On a mad pompano run, yeah, maybe you're gonna get some mileage on the beach. But for those onsie-twosies, bait is still the best thing going.

That's not speaking of OBX, but your surf up there always seemed a bit more obnoxious than what I'm used to. I can't see those jigs working well there, either, but what the hell do I know? :)

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
River - thanks for posting and I am looking forward to purchasing and trying half dozen or more of your rigs.
signed H "cheapassdude" stew

·
Registered
5,350 Posts
I'm always interested to try new rigs. This River rig is definitely intriguing. I know DrumintheSuds is right that if you aren't fishing where the fish are, no rig is going to make a difference. But I also am a big believer that if you have located the fish, the right rig can make a difference at least some of the time.

I like teasers too as mentioned above, both on rigs for drum and bluefish, and also on panfish rigs. I've messed around tying my own bottom rigs for summer fishing using VMC hot skirt panfish jigs as the hooks and had good luck with them on sea mullet and small pomps last summer, although a few got bitten off by blues. As far as drum fishing I'm still learning but I caught my first citation drum last fall using the two-hook bottom rig with teasers that Tradewindsties and sells as a "puppy drum rig." I swapped the circle hooks tradewinds puts on the rig out for larger hooks.

Don't let anyone fool ya. These works just fine on our "obnoxious" beaches. Ate Pomps and Mullet caught on them just this past Sunday.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I had pretty good luck with the silly willy jigs last year under "certain conditions".....I found a unique way to use it during the summer months

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Don't let anyone fool ya. These works just fine on our "obnoxious" beaches. Ate Pomps and Mullet caught on them just this past Sunday.
They work like mad here on our Gulf Coast, and especially in the bays. I don't have bit of luck in the Atlantic coastal waters, though. How do you fish them? What conditions do you use them in?

That's curiosity, not smarta$$ery. Looking to learn something...

By "obnoxious", I simply meant that we are used to a bit calmer and cleaner surf than what I have seen up your way. Nothing more intended.

·
Registered
799 Posts
I did some checking around, and from what I gather, it's basically just a pompano rig tied in fluoro. I checked with a couple of my favorite shops who know Joe Moore, and that's what I got out of it.

I've not had great luck with those jigs anywhere that wasn't either inshore, or on a boat. (and both cases, a sandy bottom in front of pilings) On a mad pompano run, yeah, maybe you're gonna get some mileage on the beach. But for those onsie-twosies, bait is still the best thing going.

That's not speaking of OBX, but your surf up there always seemed a bit more obnoxious than what I'm used to. I can't see those jigs working well there, either, but what the hell do I know? :)
I think it is a 3 way rig with a knot instead of the brass ring. Tied with flouro, a pretty long leader for a more natural look in the water and a sticky sharp hook

·
Registered
799 Posts
They work like mad here on our Gulf Coast, and especially in the bays. I don't have bit of luck in the Atlantic coastal waters, though. How do you fish them? What conditions do you use them in?

That's curiosity, not smarta$$ery. Looking to learn something...

By "obnoxious", I simply meant that we are used to a bit calmer and cleaner surf than what I have seen up your way. Nothing more intended.
I had success with mine using it like a walking weight...bouncing it off the bottom ever so slightly. Tied a dropper loop a few inches above it with a teaser. Worked well when the water turned to aqua velva. I would toss it down the beach and work it right along the bank

·
Registered
203 Posts
I had success with mine using it like a walking weight...bouncing it off the bottom ever so slightly. Tied a dropper loop a few inches above it with a teaser. Worked well when the water turned to aqua velva. I would toss it down the beach and work it right along the bank
When you're fishing it that way (or any other way) do you tip the jig and/or teaser with shrimp or any other bait? Or do you just fish it purely as a lure?

Last summer I used a homemade 2 hook bottom rig with those VMC jigs on 20 lb flouro and a 1 or 2 oz bass sinker as the weight as my prospecting rig, tipping the jigs with a small piece of shrimp and casting it as you describe kind of parallel to the shore or quartering away and letting it roll, bounce around as I retrieved it. Didn't catch anything real big (no pomps bigger than my hand) but it was a fun change of pace from sitting in the hot sun and soaking bait, and did bring in some good sea mullets/whiting and small pomps. I'm hoping to try the same thing this year with the goofy/silly willy jigs and teaser.

·
Registered
799 Posts
During runs, or just when pomps were in season?
During runs.....Caught smaller pomps and some nice flatties. I cut the hook off of one of the jigs and used it as a fishfinder. Ran the main line through the eye and snelled a hook on the end with a flea. Had some fun with that setup too.....

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
During runs.....Caught smaller pomps and some nice flatties. I cut the hook off of one of the jigs and used it as a fishfinder. Ran the main line through the eye and snelled a hook on the end with a flea. Had some fun with that setup too.....
Yeah, I can totally see that. Now sniping them out of the surf, just when you know they are there, but not in full run, that seems a bit more difficult to me. (never seen them caught under those circumstances)

These jigs are tops when you are in a boat, and can spook a school of pomps into "flashing". No run necessary.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
"I did some checking around, and from what I gather, it's basically just a pompano rig tied in fluoro. I checked with a couple of my favorite shops who know Joe Moore, and that's what I got out of it."

Wrong

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
"I did some checking around, and from what I gather, it's basically just a pompano rig tied in fluoro. I checked with a couple of my favorite shops who know Joe Moore, and that's what I got out of it."

Wrong
+ 1

Heck Percy, I saw the River Rig Up close and personal, went home tied (my own verson of it cause I was way off) and got up with River and he showed me what I did WRONG.. By looking at it in a Picture you would not get the rig right.

JAM

·
Registered
796 Posts
As far as being a Pompano Rig tied in Fluoro, I'm not sure what a - Pompano Rig - looks like, I've always tied my own rigs but it is a two hook rig mainly designed for Sea Mullet, not Pompano, althought it works great and catches plenty of Pompano when thrown in the right place. I would like to point out a few things brought to my attention last night while talking to SusanOBX, The RiverRig's are being tied with several variations of hooks, the Circles are for what I call "Spikers", like me, I spike my rods - the "J" hooks are for what I call "Jerkers" like a few of my friends who must jerk when they see or feel the rod bouncing. I'm sure most of ya'll are aware of the difference in hooks but some aren't, if you're getting a hard bite on the circle hook rig an you run and jerk it, you will lose the fish. As Susan said, Sunday her Grandchildren caught several citations using her tied RiverRigs with circle hooks, but she was watchin the rods and would wait till the rod bowed down hard before calling for the kids to get it, that way they always caught the fish. Natural reaction sometimes takes effect when fisherman see the rod bouncing and they grab it an jerk, if you do that with a circle hook, you'll loose the fish. With Circle hooks as I'm sure many of you are aware, you let the rod bow down, then pick it up - pull tight, hopefully your drag is set correctly, don't jerk just start crankin, with the "J" hook RiverRigs you can run, get it when it start bouncing an Jerk! Hopefully sometime soon we may be able to print some more info on the package. By the way, Medium size Sandfleas will do the trick, sometimes I'll put two small Sandfleas on back to back, looks like a little crab - Pompano luv it. The beaded RiverRigs work best when Sandfleas have lost their eggs, Thanks much - River

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Don't know what you fellas call a "pompano rig", but round these parts, it's nothing more than a double drop rig, WITH OR WITHOUT beads/floats. There are a million frickin' variations on the theme. And they are the exact same thing we use to catch Gulf and Atlantic Kingfish (not seamullet/whiting) around here.

OK, I'm not gonna debate it. I saw a double drop rig. They work great. Even better in fluoro.

Looks like a good rig, and no doubt catches fish.

·
Registered
799 Posts
When I started flea fishing a few years ago I changed my entire approach from the rods I used down to the hook. I now use light action steelhead rods and circle hooks for the very reasons River mentioned. Fish picks up flea, pulls a nice bow in the rod and circle hook finishes the deal. I don't run to the rod anymore I just pick it up, tug on it and reel.....I also switched to braided line.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Don't know what you fellas call a "pompano rig", but round these parts, it's nothing more than a double drop rig, WITH OR WITHOUT beads/floats. There are a million frickin' variations on the theme. And they are the exact same thing we use to catch Gulf and Atlantic Kingfish (not seamullet/whiting) around here.

OK, I'm not gonna debate it. I saw a double drop rig. They work great. Even better in fluoro.

Looks like a good rig, and no doubt catches fish.
When I looked at the picture a page or so back it looks like a 3 way rig with a long drop

41 - 60 of 801 Posts