Pier and Surf Forum banner

21 - 40 of 801 Posts

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
The real way to hit the Park Service in the nads is not to buy River Rigs, (sorry JAM) but to convince everyone in the affected areas to stop paying taxes for awhile.

If they're going to get you one way or another, it might as well be in a way that they can feel right away. It's easy to make a criminal out of 1 person, but prosecuting a mob is expensive. It's only a matter of months now until we have a new leader, and an age of austerity. The "justice system" doesn't work that fast.

Sorry for interrupting the shameless plug. It was on my mind.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Oh, by the way under one of the photos in the facebook pics you posted, Jam, caption says - feel free to ask River how to tie them.
Dude stop being so CHEAP and Freakin Buy one, its not Rocket Science, then you will have the pattern. It's a Freakin JOKE that everyone wants everything for FREE, yet when asked to support Free and Open Beach's Most (not all) dissapear and are not heard from. I am Not River so HSTEW, Like I said You can Ask Him.. I get no proceedes from the River Rig as it is not mine. I just sell them along with thousands of other Fishing products. All I can say is that The WORK, River has more Pompano and Sea mullet Citations the anyone I know of.....

Unbelieveable...

JAM

·
Registered
799 Posts
JAM

How is this asking for something free? It's a piece of leader with a hook and a weight for crying out loud. You still have to tie the thing and from the looks of it this isn't something drastically new and innovative. Like I said I understand you wanting to help out your buddy and your "loyalty" thing and all but I'm sure he wont miss out on a buck from people buying them when visiting Hatteras tackle shops. Thank god for guys like Owen Lupten and the "inventor" of the Chip Stevens rig (which is a great rig by the way) who could care less if there special rig is on display for the world to see. If anything I don't understand why you are so defensive.

·
Registered
799 Posts
For what it's worth it looks to me like a 3 way rig without the 3 way ring. Appears that you tie a long double loop and cut it to make 2 tag ends (one for the weight and one for a teaser hook). The bottom end of the main leader has a snelled hook and the top end of the main leader has a barrel swivel. It reminds me of the Chip Stevens rig without a fish finder.

Perhaps I looked at the picture wrong but this is how it looks to me.

Not a bad idea at all and YES I can see where it would work well with just about any fish

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Not Defensive of Anything as I have no dog in the Hunt

JAM

How is this asking for something free? It's a piece of leader with a hook and a weight for crying out loud. You still have to tie the thing and from the looks of it this isn't something drastically new and innovative. Like I said I understand you wanting to help out your buddy and your "loyalty" thing and all but I'm sure he wont miss out on a buck from people buying them when visiting Hatteras tackle shops. Thank god for guys like Owen Lupten and the "inventor" of the Chip Stevens rig (which is a great rig by the way) who could care less if there special rig is on display for the world to see. If anything I don't understand why you are so defensive.
If I Invented it, it would be my descision weather or not to display it, I DID NOT INVENT IT, hence it is not my deal, hence I will not post photo's of Rig.. BTW if you cut the loop the way you describe it will fail at the loop.. Just sayin..TBH with you I have never heard of Owen Lupten and the "inventor" of the Chip Stevens Rig don't read any of the magazines and just fish everyday.. Not defensive but I am not gonna burn my buddies rig, if ya want one we will gladly ship to you. It is not my JOB to give away peoples secrets, it is my job to turn you onto fish and help you catch them, which I do on a daily basis, and it is my pleasure to do so..

I have put up many pictures of different Rigs IE: Cannon Ball and explain things to folks on a daily basis. I get a kick out of some folks, always looking for Products on the Internet, to save a buck.. Is that Online Store gonna tell ya where the Fish are Biting that day, at that moment, I doubt it, but I will.. Maybe ole Chip and Owen have it made, but this White Boy works 3 Jobs, so I can afford to live and Fish Hatteras Island.. Not Pissed at all, ya see I was raised in a Biker family, and its the rule of the threes, if it don't [email protected], Feed or Finance me its none of my business.. This will be my last post on the River Rig, come and get them, or not, see the Rule of 3's, no dog in this hunt..

JAM

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
ditto druminthesuds-- as I stated earlier( post #4 ) "If it's gonna have a fish attached to the other end use the best you can Buy or make and don't fret the money. Please PM me the info so I can call or order online.

·
Registered
799 Posts
If somebody even wanted to buy one how would you go about it? I haven't seen a website from any tackle shop that offers the opportunity to buy tackle online other than Hatteras Jacks and I wouldn't know which one was a river rig on top of that. Somebody said they were being sold in New Jersey.....where? What tackle shop?

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
For what it's worth it looks to me like a 3 way rig without the 3 way ring. Appears that you tie a long double loop and cut it to make 2 tag ends (one for the weight and one for a teaser hook). The bottom end of the main leader has a snelled hook and the top end of the main leader has a barrel swivel. "
You got it right, you saw the picture and copyed it. Now your happy........now you still will be out fished......:)

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Hey WNC Rick

What do you do for a living???

Well what ever it is why don't you come to my house and do it for FREE..Sound like a good deal to you, does to me....

Yes Zing Pow caught the 3.17 pound Pompano on the River Rig..

Shipped 3 out yesterday, call 252-986-2460 The Roost Bait N Tackle and we will gladly ship...

JAM

·
Registered
799 Posts
For what it's worth it looks to me like a 3 way rig without the 3 way ring. Appears that you tie a long double loop and cut it to make 2 tag ends (one for the weight and one for a teaser hook). The bottom end of the main leader has a snelled hook and the top end of the main leader has a barrel swivel. "
You got it right, you saw the picture and copyed it. Now your happy........now you still will be out fished......:)
LOL....A "rig" doesn't make an angler. Reading water, using the right bait, fishing at the right time and a willingness to move and adapt your tactics fills the coolers up. I have no doubt this rig works well like many that have come before it. Something else will come after this that catches fish too and another and another. Our grandparents caught fish before we ever did and plenty of them at that. Did they have flourocarbon leaders? River Rigs? No they used their instincts and knowledge to learn and adapt. We have ALL aquired and passed on knowledge over the years. I learned a LOT from some of the best and the most valuable rule I learned was to keep it simple.

Like I said it's just a rig with a hook on the end not a fish charmer. If it isn't in the right place with the right bait it's nothing more than an expense tied to expensive line, and expensive reel and expensive pole.

·
Registered
795 Posts
Dang - I didn't want to get on here but figured I better, first of all, I'm a fisherman not a inventor - I relocated here from upstate NC a little less than 3 years ago to fish the rest of my life away. I've fished and hunted all my life and have several ex-wifes to prove it but I have managed to succeed pretty much in everything I've tryed, due to always surrounding myself with the best of that sport. Nothing changed when I started coming to Hatteras Island - I asked question about good fisherman and I found em, most became good friends and most still are. This Rig could easily be named after some of the greatest, what I call Mulletheads that fish this island, like Larry Hart, Kenneth Cash, Wayne Gless (The Artist) and I can never forget my best buddy who always inspires me, Susan McClanahan (SusanOBX). I have known the power of Fluorocarbon since my pier fishin days on the long gone Iron Steamer Pier back in days when I Flounder fished the wreck and everyone wondered why I caught just a few more fish than they did so when I started coming here in 2004, Fluoro was already in my bag and I started using it while I watched and learned from the best. I began to experiment with different size Flouro, hooks, beads and lengths everyday. I fish 4 rods alot, so different styles would go on each rod till I began to narrow it down to what really caught fish. As time went by, I began to get known a little because of the citations I weighed out in local shops and I was not really out fishin my friends but my fish were always bigger and it seemed Citations were no problem. I got in a one man Tournament, the 4 plus last fall, 400 plus fisherman and I knew that I could win before entering, almost unfair and I haven't entered any more. I had 16 Sea Mullet in my cooler that day, all over a pound with three Citations at around 1 and 3/4 lb each, the second place fish was 1 lb 7 oz., it was then that I began to realize just how good the Rig was. My friends have mostly switched to my length's, Lb test Fluoro and hooks now and we all catch nice fish. My RiverRig was receiving so much talk that I got an E-mail from another friend, Joe Moore (One More Cast Distributer) offering to tie, package and distribute the RiverRig, I said "Why Not" and spent some time with Joe showing him how to tie the RiverRig and it's many variations. The RiverRig as Jam stated is not Rocket Science, no fancy knots - just overhand knots, nothing special at all just a very simple rig that catches fish. I am not selfish and luv to see everyone catch fish and I have shown many people how to tie the rig and they all are catchin fish but I believe its not in my best interest to show it on here but I now work at Teaches Lair "The Roost" on Friday and Saturdays and will gladly show anyone who comes in how to tie the RiverRig, if I have time. My Rig is different than the Owen Lupton Rig, the Lupton Rigs saves Drums from being gut hooked, the RiverRig puts more fish on the table, my opinion on Fluorocarbon is, if there's light in the water Fluorocarbon works. Tradewinds has my RiverRig on line and Frisco Rod & Gun will have it on soon, Teaches Lair, The Pelican Roost, Frisco Tackle, Highway 12 Tackle (Steve Groves Shop) and Dillions Corner has the RiverRig and retailer that would like to stock it should contact Joe Moore at [email protected]. Thanks for all my friends especially Jam that supported me on this Thread, good straight up friends are hard to find - Grab a RiverRig, catch a Citation, Gone Fishin - River

·
Registered
799 Posts
Dang - I didn't want to get on here but figured I better, first of all, I'm a fisherman not a inventor - I relocated here from upstate NC a little less than 3 years ago to fish the rest of my life away. I've fished and hunted all my life and have several ex-wifes to prove it but I have managed to succeed pretty much in everything I've tryed, due to always surrounding myself with the best of that sport. Nothing changed when I started coming to Hatteras Island - I asked question about good fisherman and I found em, most became good friends and most still are. This Rig could easily be named after some of the greatest, what I call Mulletheads that fish this island, like Larry Hart, Kenneth Cash, Wayne Gless (The Artist) and I can never forget my best buddy who always inspires me, Susan McClanahan (SusanOBX). I have known the power of Fluorocarbon since my pier fishin days on the long gone Iron Steamer Pier back in days when I Flounder fished the wreck and everyone wondered why I caught just a few more fish than they did so when I started coming here in 2004, Fluoro was already in my bag and I started using it while I watched and learned from the best. I began to experiment with different size Flouro, hooks, beads and lengths everyday. I fish 4 rods alot, so different styles would go on each rod till I began to narrow it down to what really caught fish. As time went by, I began to get known a little because of the citations I weighed out in local shops and I was not really out fishin my friends but my fish were always bigger and it seemed Citations were no problem. I got in a one man Tournament, the 4 plus last fall, 400 plus fisherman and I knew that I could win before entering, almost unfair and I haven't entered any more. I had 16 Sea Mullet in my cooler that day, all over a pound with three Citations at around 1 and 3/4 lb each, the second place fish was 1 lb 7 oz., it was then that I began to realize just how good the Rig was. My friends have mostly switched to my length's, Lb test Fluoro and hooks now and we all catch nice fish. My RiverRig was receiving so much talk that I got an E-mail from another friend, Joe Moore (One More Cast Distributer) offering to tie, package and distribute the RiverRig, I said "Why Not" and spent some time with Joe showing him how to tie the RiverRig and it's many variations. The RiverRig as Jam stated is not Rocket Science, no fancy knots - just overhand knots, nothing special at all just a very simple rig that catches fish. I am not selfish and luv to see everyone catch fish and I have shown many people how to tie the rig and they all are catchin fish but I believe its not in my best interest to show it on here but I now work at Teaches Lair "The Roost" on Friday and Saturdays and will gladly show anyone who comes in how to tie the RiverRig, if I have time. My Rig is different than the Owen Lupton Rig, the Lupton Rigs saves Drums from being gut hooked, the RiverRig puts more fish on the table, my opinion on Fluorocarbon is, if there's light in the water Fluorocarbon works. Tradewinds has my RiverRig on line and Frisco Rod & Gun will have it on soon, Teaches Lair, The Pelican Roost, Frisco Tackle, Highway 12 Tackle (Steve Groves Shop) and Dillions Corner has the RiverRig and retailer that would like to stock it should contact Joe Moore at [email protected]. Thanks for all my friends especially Jam that supported me on this Thread, good straight up friends are hard to find - Grab a RiverRig, catch a Citation, Gone Fishin - River
Glad you came on here River and I hope you don't feel any disrespect on my part. I'm always up for trying new things and would like to try your rig just to see. I looked on the tradewinds website but didn't see anything called the "RiverRig"......Is your rig the same thing as the Chip Stevens rig?

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
You don't have to extol the virtues of fluoro to me... I've always believed that using fluoro won't make a bad fisherman fish good, but it may help a good fisherman fish better.

Hopefully you won't waste too much time trying to convince. Better to just keep on making $ selling rigs. Hell, if you can do it, my hat's off to you.

I might even buy one, just to support a small businessman. (and I'm notoriously against purchasing rigs that I can tie)

21 - 40 of 801 Posts