Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 20 of 801 Posts

·
Registered
904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting ready for the Sea Mullet (kingfish) here and have been hearing about a "River Rig" in the OBX that is being used for the Sea Mullet and Pomps. Anybody have any info in these? Made with the flourocarbon leaders and have been catching pretty good down there and want to try em up here on the Northern Kings..,, any info appreciated... salt

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Made with the flourocarbon leaders
NO, NO, NO... SHHHH.....

We don't say the "F" word around here! They're all going to laugh at you!

The "river rig" that I know, is basically a pompano type rig (poor man's rig, chicken rig, etc) with a single drop, and the hook and weight in swapped positions. They are swapped because it makes a more natural presentation than a drop rig, and the terminal end is a little more "free flowing"

You can also build a fish finder, but put the sliding weight on a long drop. (about 6-10")

Not sure why the kingfish would care about fluoro, as they are not leader shy, but I have no problem with it. Just don't think that it's mandatory in that case. It's only a matter of time before the "don't waste your money on fluoro" crowd chimes in, so there's your warning...

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Imo the only time u need flouro is in florida and when ur pompano fishing in extremely clear water. I dont use it but have considered it. The cost is a little high for good quality though.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
If it's gonna have a fish attached to the other end use the best you can buy or make and don't fret the the money .

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
buy a River rig, River is a fish catchin dude... Plus ya don't need flouro anyway, last i checked fish didn't see in green:popcorn:

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Fish don't see green or don't see in green? Many fish can see red,orange,blue and green.In 10' of wayer almost all red is absorbed. At 10' red appears as gray. Studies have shown that fish favor a specific color. Inshore fish have good color vision because near shore water is lit by many colors. Offshore waters are mainly blue and green. The lighter the day the clearer the water the lighter my gear is, and yes I paint my leads flou chart.

·
Registered
712 Posts
flouro carbon is overrated give it to me and i will dispose of it for you.

·
Registered
4,648 Posts
Fish don't see green or don't see in green? Many fish can see red,orange,blue and green.In 10' of wayer almost all red is absorbed. At 10' red appears as gray. Studies have shown that fish favor a specific color. Inshore fish have good color vision because near shore water is lit by many colors. Offshore waters are mainly blue and green. The lighter the day the clearer the water the lighter my gear is, and yes I paint my leads flou chart.
Stew, Sorry I was making apparently a poor attempt at humor with green=money for Solid

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
Stew, Sorry I was making apparently a poor attempt at humor with green=money for Solid
I gotta have my fluoro down here... We got some real leader shy critters. The rest of you wiseass bullies got to let these guys figure out for themselves, sometimes... :D

But no worries, Neil... I got me a good job. I might just spool a reel up with fluoro, just because I can :)

·
Registered
799 Posts
Try a Carolina Rig........I keep a 7' trout rod tied up with a single hook carolina rig when walking the beach or "scouting" for feeding pomps and sea mullet. I toss it the rig out into the suds and let it roll along looking for hungries. I also use this technique when scouting the shallow flats and spot pomps or mullet scurrying in and out grabbing fleas.

As far as flourocarbon goes it's just money I guess but pink ANDE was the "original fluoro" before actual fluoro. It's rare that I fish water as clear as some of the florida folks so I tie my rigs with pink ANDE

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Other Rigs Will Catch but River Rigs Catch Citations

River was Picked up by TEAM TEACH's LAIR, we have and Sell the River Rig Here at the Shop.. Most of the good Shops on the Island are carying these.. River Turned me on to them awhile back, and they just flat out work.. No Hardware and Flouro is the Key...

"Imo the only time u need flouro is in florida and when ur pompano fishing in extremely clear water. I dont use it but have considered it. The cost is a little high for good quality though".

Only time your gonna catch Pompano on Hatteras is the same Gin Clear Conditions, they work..

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=378371215533463&set=a.222097231160863.52281.210314212339165&type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=371755996194985&set=a.222097231160863.52281.210314212339165&type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=370428746327710&set=a.222097231160863.52281.210314212339165&type=1&theater

https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fbid=370427869661131&set=a.222097231160863.52281.210314212339165&type=1&theater

I'm a Believer and so is Phil's son, as he destroys a Near Citation Pompano caught on the River Rig..
JAM

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Would like to see a photo or illustration of the "River Rig". I think it is not a rig you fish in a river, but the persons name ( River ) that ties (or invented)it.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
I guess someone will put one up but it won't be me..

Would like to see a photo or illustration of the "River Rig". I think it is not a rig you fish in a river, but the persons name ( River ) that ties (or invented)it.
These rigs are "FOR SALE" in Tackle Shops on the Island.. If we just put the Illustration up, would kinda defeat the purpose of Selling the River Rig.. I am sure someone will post it up but it won't be me.. LOL.. JAM

·
Registered
799 Posts
I don't understand the no illustration thing if you are trying to sale something but that is JMO. Not everybody fishes Hatteras......But I respect your reasoning. I remember when the "Chip Stevens" rig went crazy. Melinda from Tradewinds was kind enough to post an illustration of it and I'm sure folks who are capable of tying rigs mimicked their own version but I doubt the originator lost any money :)

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Again I am not the Inventor of it

so I will not give it away, if you all want to thats fine but I have Loyality to my friends.. If River wants to put up an illustration, that s his Deal, Not mine.. JAM

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Buy one, then you'll have your pattern. Rare breed that can still spell loyality, let alone practice it today JAM. Good fer you.

·
Registered
1,522 Posts
Didn't mean to try and " steal" anything from anyone or put anybody's friendship in jeopardy. It is interesting to find out how it works and the principle behind why it works, or if it really is new or not. If it's good as it seems to be you can expect many to be sold cause there are many out there who,can't, won't, or refuse learn to tie their own mess.

1 - 20 of 801 Posts