Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know a lot of people using floats on their rigs to keep their bait off the bottom and away from crabs. Two questions: (1) Is there a rule of thumb for how large the float has to be compared to the bait? I know you'd like to keep it as small as possible--a big float will presumably take some distance out of your cast--but if it ain't doing the job, there's not much point.
(2) Where do you get your floats?

Thanks.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I don't know of a formula to figure float size but there is another consideration, current. A fireball rig will pull a weight along that would ordinarily hold. Another reason for using as small a float as possible. Granpa

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Galyans in Rockville sells rigs with floats.
In same aisle as snelled hooks, sinkers, etc.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I try to stay away from any plastic float and use the cork ones with the plastic pegs.

I use large cork floats at AI during the Summer shark run and it kills your casting distance. With a large fish head though, you sometimes do not have any choice.

Remember, crabs swim and use your cork floats to hold on to when they are eating your bait. ;)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Hi Barracuda,

Have you ever seen a crab swim? Some fish prefer the bait off of the bottom. I have found that to be a better use for a float rig. I stopped using float rigs for crabs after the crabs continued to steal my baits. A few years ago I placed a baited float rig in two feet of crystal clear water at Romancoke. The crabs just loved it. They had a feast while I watched. :(

·
Registered
36 Posts
Baracuda, I bought several rigs with the cork float already attached to them at Sports Authority in Glen Burnie don't know if they work any better than rigs without floats but I guess it doesn't hurt either. ;)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, okay, so much the better. If floats don't protect your bait from crabs particularly well, and they surely cost you at least some distance on the cast, I'll just leave 'em off.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
831 Posts
I also incorperate cork floats in my flounder rigs, the small tappered ones like used for Crappie fishing. After on my leader I can slide them up or down depending on conditions, peggin with a toothpick. The tappered design works well in current, and seems to have enough lift to keep my killies off the bottom, plus I like the added color as an attractant.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts