Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spent three weeks in Florida with gear meant for the Chesapeake Bay. Had a twelve footer at the beach in Clearwater trying to chuck some shrimp and three ounces of lead half way to Mexico. Old habits are hard to break. Sank a pipe in the sand, set the rod, looked up and saw a four foot cobia cruising a trough about three feet from shore. Behind it were two large reds sucking up sand fleas. All in about 8 inches of water. Please tell me I'm not the only one in the right place with the wrong gear. We caught Pompano, Jacks, and a couple sharks at the drop offs. What's the best way to fish that trough so close to shore??

·
Registered
3,746 Posts
Ahh HR The lovely flats and troughs of good ole Fl. It took me a long time to learn how to fish the chesapeake when I got here. As you can see it is a lot different. Most of my fishing consumes of using small split shot weights with circle hooks and a nice live shrimp or blue crab. The drum down there love it. That cobia probably would of taken a live pinfish. Sorry you couldn't entice em to bite. Next time you will know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts