Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
everytime I lose a rig, I'm thinking 2.50 down the drain... if I were to make my own rigs, how much do you think I can save? Is it worth to make your own rig (time spent)?

Standard hi/lo rig at walmart is about 1.00
Weight is 1.00
hooks 50 cents

I'm estimating all the costs...

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
40# leader material (3') = .10
4oz weight = .40
Various size hook = .75

Catching a keeper on your own handmade rig....priceless

Look at Thrifty's recent post...it provides great info on tying your own hi/lo rigs with double surgeon knots. Quick and easy.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Make em' for peanuts!

I use 50 lb test Jinkai Leader material for all my rigs (less sharks). Do not waste your money on buying regular fishing line on the small spools! Get the leader material in large loops. Tie a double surgeon knot on both ends and two dropper loops and you are set to go! I can make a new rig in under a minute...

...and the best part is the lack of termial tackle (snaps, swivels, etc.) enables to better feel when the fish are biting... ;)

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
Actually if you're using circles you can tie them right into the dropper loops if you tie them first. That's how we tie them for wreck fishing, no snelled hooks at all.

Catman.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
I stock up on lure & rig material for the cabin feaver days,what ever you lose you make during that time. I keep material in my tackle box just incase. There are a couple of catalogs that you can buy in bluk like:www.staminalnc.com or www.netcraft.com. I make my hi/low rigs with bulk material that I buy,circle hooks,leader material. and so on.check them out.TRIGGER

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
went to Galyians yesterday and they had premade rigs. Double hi/lo mono rig for 39 cents...

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Wreck rigs...

Catman,

I prefer to tie my rigs like you do by putting the hook on the line first and then making the dropper loops. I make several rigs - some with smaller circle hooks, some with larger, and some with both sizes.

Get the rig you want but cheaper and stronger - make it yourself! ;)

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't fish on the bottom much, except for bait, and being able to tie your own rig really quick is much easier than having to go to the local tackle shop and buy and overpriced rig. I do make a lot of king rigs though, and it is much easier to buy 200' of wire, swivels in bulk, and hooks in bulk than to buy a six dollar rig everytime a little shark tears a rig up. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Greetings jangwuah!

I'm with Sandcrab, catman, and TRIGGERFISH -- I keep a spool of leader material (usually what's left over on an Ande quarter pound spool after refilling a reel), swivels, and hooks in my tackle bag and tie up my own on the spot. A lot of the time I'm back in the water while the guy next to me is still trying to open up the plastic wrapper on a store-bought rig. It takes practice (fishing jetties for blackfish should be a good starter), but soon you'll be amazed at how quickly you can tie up your own single or multi-hook rig. And yes, when wreck fishing I attach the hook directly to the loop.

·
Registered
4,338 Posts
Start tying those leaders for IRI!

You can lose quite a bit in one day. I usually tie up some 30" leaders with a swivel (50 lb) on top and a snap (50 lb) on the bottom. It pays to buy quality stuff especially swivels - The cheap ones do not take any twist out of you line like they are supposed too.

Make up some with teasers too for fishing those Mirrorlure's!

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
I keep a spool of mono and the stuff to tie rigs in a box by my easy chair in the den. I tie most of my rigs while watching cartoons with the baby. Put them in three and one half inch bags and store them in a CD wallet, they fit perfectly. You can just flip through the pages and find the rig you want.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts