Pier and Surf Forum banner

Do you think a Winter Forum is a good idea?

• Yes - Good idea! I'm looking for something to keep me busy during those colder days and this might

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • No - Stupid idea! I don't plan on doing squat this Winter!

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Not NO, but Heck NO! Are you crazy Sandcrab?

Votes: 8 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Once the Winter settles in, what will you do? Maybe, we could have a temporary new forum to get us through the colder weather and not go crazy. Something that would enable us to keep busy and not worry about when we will be fishing again. Something that will let us try new hobbies, projects, or ideas.

Something that would help us with:

Rod Building
Reel Overhaul
Plug Building
Surf Cart Building
Tackle Maintenence Questions and Answers
and more...

This would only be a temp forum until our leader (The mighty striped bass) comes back into town around April.

Any takers? We could call it "Cabin Fever Projects", or "Winter Doldrum Forum", or anything else...

Personally, I will be building my first rod and may even join Joey in attempting to build some topwater plugs for the surf...

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
I think this is a good idea. I would love to learn how to overhaul my reels properly. I already had one reel give out on me this year, although it was a conventional reel that I have had for over 10 years that I never washed once or cleaned properly.

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Ant,

I know the feeling.All is fine until you start reeling and there is a grinding sound coming out of your reel.
I had 2 reels crap out on me this year!
Ifa,coulda,woulda......deffinitely shoulda maintained my tackle properly.

I like that idea.Generalize a seperate forum.

Hey 'bucket,how do I get that stinky eel smell outta my truck?:D

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
Am for it.

This way we keep the regular forums free of, off-the-subject matter.

I too will be trying to finish building a rod my father had started before he lost his battle to cancer. Last year when I went home to visit my mother she passed along all his rod building material to me.

Just have to clear a spot up in the basement to setup his stuff.

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Didn't vote cuz I thought th 2 No answers were too negative. ;)

But my 2 cents, is that is what th open forum is for now. All subjects Sandcrab put in th first post could be discussed right here which usally is th busiest in th winter anyway.

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
I'm kind of leaning Cdog's way here. Why can't all those issues just go in Open Forum? It's meant to be a catch-all for fishing stuff.

Whether it's summer or winter or you live in Montauk or Ft. Lauderdale, all the things you listed are of broad interest.

·
Registered
472 Posts
sand flea said:
I'm kind of leaning Cdog's way here. Why can't all those issues just go in Open Forum? It's meant to be a catch-all for fishing stuff.

Whether it's summer or winter or you live in Montauk or Ft. Lauderdale, all the things you listed are of broad interest.
Sounds right to Me

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Didn't vote either, because I too feel the Open Formum is the place for "all other topics", that's why it's open. Kinda like when I thought surf fishin may bore some Pier guys, and thought maybe seperate, but I was wrong, there ended up being enough interest in the subject right on the MD/DE board, that it kept me at least happy and ammused.

Other reason I didn't vote is because I am figuring on fishing. Try January, and if bites are still there, I'll keep going. Worse case scenerio, nothing early January, so hold off until mid February and give it a shot, and by mid-March the action usually begins again. Maybe surf fishing is just a bit different than the pier thing, but, it's still FISHING.

Have Jeep will travel. :D

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
I think the open forum pretty well covers the broader topics which a winter forum would also deal with.Thanks sand crab,I think construtive suggestions serve to better an already fine site!!:p ....the R

·
Administrator
5,774 Posts
rhondel, you're totally right. Almost everything you see on the site is the result of people's suggestions.

This is going to be fun this winter. It'll be a mix of the Fla. folks talking fishing and all us northerners going stir crazy. :)

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Old Man Winter

It's going to be a long one alright. Atleast we (in Tidewater, VA) have a new BassPro Shop to keeps us occupied this winter. Soon, we'll have threads on the "Hot Ditch" and the "Ditch" starting over again.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
I didn't vote, but I'm with Cdog the open forum covers it.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
Hey C2H&G

I've heard conflicting reports about the "Ditches". The York ditch I've heard is stone cold and the Hot Ditch I've heard the usual tight-lipped reports, but everyone knows there are no fish in the Hot Ditch.;) Oh yeah , John 21:6, check out Luke 5:1-11 that's the reel deal.:D

·
Registered
3,390 Posts
I USED to think that fishing was over in the
winter, but I have since come to realize that
you can fish almost all winter long:

Jan, Feb, Mar - You can go fishing for giant
offshore seabass at Virginia Beach (Planning
a few trips now) Tog will open up again on
1 Jan and you should be able to go out for
them in eithor VA (headboat) or Lewis, DE.
(Headboat/make-up charter Little Anger)

Capt Monty is planning a few Tog trips
starting in January out of OC, MD, which
should be incredible. (you have to be on his e-mail
list to get notice of these trips). The yellow perch
start running in Late Feb/early Mar, the C&R season
for rockfish starts right after that, etc, etc, etc.

I only get to go fishing about once or twice
a month during the summer and I usually go
to OC to maximize my results. Things are
basically the same for me! I guess that it
depends on how you look at things. :)

·
Registered
5,963 Posts
"HOT DITCH"

Mr. Drum found this on the WEB.

The warm water discharge located on the Elizabeth River, known as the "Hot Ditch".

1 - 20 of 24 Posts