Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No pics in this report, as fishing was S-L-O-W.

Got down Friday evening a little late due to some car troubles. We stayed at the Breezeway, and I hit the dock out back to fish for a bit. Lots of little blues chasing shrimp on top under the lights, and I was able to catch as many of those as I wanted on a crappie jig and ultralight rod. All small fish, biggest maybe 12", but fun on light tackle. I put out a couple of bigger rods for drum/skates/sharks with various live/cut pinfish/bluefish/lizardfish, but no takers there.

Saturday morning I hit the beach early, found a little hole towards south end. Started out fishing a pair of spiked rods with salted shrimp and fishbites, one in the suds, other way out. Hunted sand fleas for a couple of hours with no luck, and nothing touched the shrimp/fishbites the entire time. I was the only person fishing the entire stretch of beach.

Went back around 10AM near the Jolly Roger. There were a few fishing rods up and down the beach, and a small group on the end of the Jolly Roger that I think were throwing plugs for blues/spanish. One guy on the beach had caught a whiting, a spot, and a puffer before I had gotten there, all on fresh shrimp. I put out a couple rods with shrimp/fishbites again, but again nothing -- bait was still intact upon retrieval every few minutes. Saw a couple guys to my left catch about a 10 inch whiting on a sabiki, tipped with salted squid. That was the only fish I saw from 10AM to 2PM, when we went back into the room.

On another note, the guys to my left ventured out to the bar near high tide to throw Gotchas. One guy got hit by a big wave and dropped his (pretty nice) rod and reel. I tried to snag it, but the wind picked up to where I couldn't even cast to the bar. The next morning I went out at low tide to see if I could find the combo, and a nice lady had just picked it up. It was still plenty serviceable, so that guy, if you read this, your rod and reel are at the Wall cottage, which I think is between Jolly Roger and Sea Vista.

Saturday night I hit the breezeway dock again. Saw a guy catch a 12" whiting on squid (so I'm going to be adding squid to the bait mix next time), and I managed a couple more blues on a spoon before the bite shut down. I had something pick up a bluefish head and swim toward the dock, as soon as I put pressure on it it broke my 14lb line, even though the drag was set pretty light. Guessing a shark, but no telling.

Sunday morning the wind was howling. There was a couple guys fishing on the end of the Jolly Roger when I went to look for the rod, but I didn't see them catching anything. I didn't even take a rod this time, as I suspected it wouldn't be worth fighting the wind to maybe get a bite. I did try at the dock again around 8AM, but the bluefish weren't playing anymore.

Not gonna lie, I'm a little disgusted at south Topsail at this point. Fished there for years, with relatively little to show for it. The last couple years it seems like the fishing has been really bad whenever we go, even on a couple late-October week-long trips. I love the atmosphere of the place, my wife and kids love it, and it's not a bad drive from the house, but I mostly go to the beach to fish. Next trip is going to be North Topsail, Emerald Isle, or Ocracoke -- I'm gunning for Ocracoke.

·
Registered
27 Posts
SLOSH, hate you had poor fishing...crappy front over most of the NE of the state all weekend, didnt get over 48 yesterday and rainy, and wind is still humping 20 sustained up here at the border...at least it's sunny so I can start packing for Hatteras.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts