Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I bought this line thinking it could be the answer to my not liking the slick triplus in chartruese color... It's great line,as far as casting,tieing knots,ect,it blows triplus out of the water.. BUT,as far as abrassion resistance,and lasting against sun,it s*cks...

Broke this line on the hookset with what I'm sure was a shark,figured it was a nick in the line that I hadn't caught when reeling in.. Then had a big sandtiger on with it.. Broke him off right at the pier.. Figured I had put too much heat on him,knowing it was a shark and not a drum..Even though,I've put at least that much heat on suffix and couldn't break it??

Then two nights ago it was the final straw.. I hooked what I was fairly sure was a drum and broke him off in the hookset! Had just spooled the reel up when I got there and was being EXTRA carefull checking for frays when I reeled in.. Didn't set the hook any harder,if as hard as I would have on 17 suffix,and this line is suppose to be 20lb test!!

At any rate,that's the end of the road for that line and have already spooled my reels up with gold triplus suffix.. I don't like it because I can't see it as well in the dark,but not as slippery as chartruese color.. The mamoi diamond may be better,but I'm finished with the hicatch for sure.. Cdog,heard you were wanting to give it a try,I got a fresh spool for ya if ya want to try it.... ;) :D

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
Kenny, thanks for the update.

I was planning to buy a 1lb spool of Hi-Catch when my last spool of Tri Plus went empty.

I guess I'll keep fishing the hi-vis gold Tri. Like you said, it's just hard to see at night, at least with a white light. Any idea how that gold line looks in the dark under a black light?

·
Registered
8,022 Posts
Well I bought this line thinking it could be the answer to my not liking the slick triplus in chartruese color... It's great line,as far as casting,tieing knots,ect,it blows triplus out of the water.. BUT,as far as abrassion resistance,and lasting against sun,it s*cks...

Broke this line on the hookset with what I'm sure was a shark,figured it was a nick in the line that I hadn't caught when reeling in.. Then had a big sandtiger on with it.. Broke him off right at the pier.. Figured I had put too much heat on him,knowing it was a shark and not a drum..Even though,I've put at least that much heat on suffix and couldn't break it??

Then two nights ago it was the final straw.. I hooked what I was fairly sure was a drum and broke him off in the hookset! Had just spooled the reel up when I got there and was being EXTRA carefull checking for frays when I reeled in.. Didn't set the hook any harder,if as hard as I would have on 17 suffix,and this line is suppose to be 20lb test!!

At any rate,that's the end of the road for that line and have already spooled my reels up with gold triplus suffix.. I don't like it because I can't see it as well in the dark,but not as slippery as chartruese color.. The mamoi diamond may be better,but I'm finished with the hicatch for sure.. Cdog,heard you were wanting to give it a try,I got a fresh spool for ya if ya want to try it.... ;) :D
Dang DD, you truly can break a bowling ball...J/K

Hate to hear that as I have been very pleased with the #50 high catch and was certainly going to try the 17.

But if ya gonna throw that spool away, ya might as well give it to me...;)

·
Registered
8,022 Posts

I was planning to buy a 1lb spool of Hi-Catch when my last spool of Tri Plus went empty.

I guess I'll keep fishing the hi-vis gold Tri. Like you said, it's just hard to see at night, at least with a white light. Any idea how that gold line looks in the dark under a black light?
Jeff, it showed up fine with my visor light last week, only problem was the range of the light.

·
Super Moderator
10,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dang DD, you truly can break a bowling ball...J/K

Hate to hear that as I have been very pleased with the #50 high catch and was certainly going to try the 17.

But if ya gonna throw that spool away, ya might as well give it to me...;)
Not a problem pal,next time we meet up ya can have it....

Chit Jeff,any color,even that "Sleth at night" cajun red will show up under a blacklight.... :D

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
Ditto on the hi-catch not being very abrasion-resistant. Good to know it wasnt just me. Diamond is a lot better in that regard, but it has a larger diameter than the hi-catch (plus it's more expensive).

·
Registered
17,552 Posts
Wow...I have never had a problem with it.

·
Registered
211 Posts
16# Diamond has the same diameter as 17# Tri-plus.
Seems like the actual breaking strength is at least as good.

·
Registered
862 Posts
I posted in a previous thread about having the same problems with this line. I used it a few years ago and after a few breakoffs gladly threw the whole spool of line in the trash. I would not even think of using another Momoi line, it is not worth the headache. I know of a lot of offshore anglers who swore by this line in the past but after a lot of breakoffs have respooled with different line. The closest line I have found to sufix Tri is Hi-Catch Red Devil. It is a copolymer line, has silicon coating and is the most visible color line I have seen in all light conditions. The two downsides are the price (about $50.00 for a 1 lb spool), and it does stretch quite a bit more than Sufix Tri. So far I have not had any other problems with the line, but with more use I will see.

John

·
Registered
3,782 Posts
Ditto on the hi-catch not being very abrasion-resistant. Good to know it wasnt just me. Diamond is a lot better in that regard, but it has a larger diameter than the hi-catch (plus it's more expensive).
I was thinking the Diamond would be good to try. As Hawk said, the diameter is about the same as the 17# Sufix Tri. Who told Sufix to stop making it!! :mad:

Has anyone use the Silver Thread?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Purchased Momoi leader material and tied up so hi-lo rigs and off to Ocracoke, rigs just started breaking at knots etc, cut of all the hardware and re-tied with sufix and no problems.

·
Registered
24 Posts
line......

I'm telling you guys you need to try Ande' Backcountry. This line is some good stuff. It only comes in 1 color. Wish they made it in Chart., but the line is designed not to be seen. Ande' does not make this line in 17# test, but the 15# breaks @ 20lbs of pull. The next size is #20 and it breaks @ 25lbs of pull. I have caught plenty of bull reds (2 over 50")on the 15# on a 525mag.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts