Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
posted on 26-Aug-2003 3:20:36 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was shorebound today, and so decided to give the pier a go since it had been awhile. Hit Salt Pond's at 5:30AM and rounded up a couple of dozen Peanuts.... then off to Grandview to feed them to some Flatties. There was a slight SW breeze and little wave action as I made my way down the pilings. Put out some cut Menhaden and threw a Gotcha for awhile at the numerous busting schools of bait and fish. I managed a couple Blues for bait right away, and then was more interested in pursuing the Spanish that were leaping EVERYWHERE!! And these weren't your average little fellas either. REAL HEALTHY, looking specimens leaping all around the pier and off into the hazy morning distance. I threw everything in the book at 'em and only scored 1 nice fish and many Blues. I saw some, I'd say eclipsed the citation mark without question. So, after a couple hours of being toyed with by the Silver Streak's, I rigged up some Peanuts and mud minnows for Flounder action. The bite was steady and the fish were plentiful. I managed over 12 fish up to 23 1/4" and had some Sea Robin's, Black Seabass, and Sea Mullet thrown in for some variety. Also saw a Cobia pup caught on a Flounder set-up. The bait was as thick as I have ever witnessed at this particular pier. Just plain LOADED... Lots of fish feeding all morning, splashing and thrashing around like there was no 2morrow. I would have stayed beyond 1PM but for the heat and no breeze. Fortunately, I think even the bugs were hot since I didn't get eaten alive despite the lack of wind. It seemed the fishing was steady for everyone, the fish just a wee bit small. Great for bait! I reluctantly left them biting. The water wasn't really clear, but there are A LOT of fish in that area, and I'll be back down there soon to score some more Flatties for sandwiches. I'd try the trolling thing there off the piers for those big Spanish. Go early, catch lots........... Fish On

:D
Zigh
><((((*>

·
Registered
4,408 Posts
Try the really small Gotchas for Spanish. Sometimes they're really picky and you have to switch around until you find what works. Try catching a 24" blue on ultralight!:D

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
DEWD!!!! COME ON>>>>>

I threw, short/ long and middle, white, pink, yellow, green, gold hooks, silver hooks, Hopkin's, Stingsilver's, Clark's, and Drone's... It wasn't the size, really just a lame bite on some HEFTY fish........... Believe me, I threw the book at 'em....... TOO much bait I suppose.... Maybe a flyrod would've done the trick?????

:)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
i was down there bout a month ago and they were hittn then ; id imagine thats the hot spot for bank and plank fishn :eek: let the cat outta the bag :cool:

·
Registered
159 Posts
If you were catchin blues but no spanish, you were prob going too slow.......Use a mono leader and experiment with the length to get the best retrieve...walkin the dog i think it's called....back and forth.......experiment with the retrieve as well...but don't slow down...that plug should jusssst be under the surface and screaminng in.........use a lite drag as well so they can run when they hit..... All gold gotcha has been my ticket (gold card)...followed by the gold/red head...I use nothing else.....sometimes I open a fresh one outta the pkg and don't like how it swims and will open another. Make sure you have several, as you will loose them with the mono (30 lb) leader esp if they are big....I've lost 3 lures in 3 casts before......better than casting and not getting looked at......just my opinions.....

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Hey Zigh....throw 'em a Hop-Smoothie,1/2 oz ,chartreuse....this will do it and cost you only one keeper flounder.Let me know....the R

·
Registered
48 Posts
Is it safe to eat the fish caught there? I was thinking about going, but with the fact that it's unsafe to swim, I didn't feel that it would be safe to eat the fish.

Are you sure those were Spanish? With the sewage spill and all they might have been Crappies......LOL

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Awesome report Zigh-Gonna have to hook up some day.Me and bassn went fishin yesterday(late afternoon till dark),Not so productive.Lotsa nice sized taylors-and possible some spanish in the mix.But I think I threw everythin in the bag,but Nada bite.

I am glad you were @ the rite place @ the rite time.
Tight Lines!

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
leaders and whatnot>>

Howdy Lou...... I like using 3ft.+ of 30lbs Flouro for the toothy fellas. Yesterday I tried different lengths of leader, different lbs. rating, leaderless, gold and the rest of the rainbow. Also, tried 2 different reels to achieve enough speed.... I think with so much bait there, the selection should have been a live Peanut or Mullet on a free lined rig..... I've caught tons of Spanish in the past, and these fish were finicky. I saw nobody catching any even with straw rigs and Sabiki's....... Even the Blue bite wasn't solid.I wonder if I put a kayak in near there and paddle like a fool, if I could scare 'em into biting on the kayak troll?! Oh well, with the quality of fish I saw, I'll be there trying again SOON! If you go and slay 'em, share what worked.............

Peace
Zigh
><((((*>
:)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
other stuff

Nserch- we'll have to go soon. I think the fishing's going to blow wide open with the next cool front.. I'm game whenever.

Wambo- I give 90% of what I catch away...so, it's up to those folks about the edibility..... Hopefully the area is improved from a week ago. Keeping the swimming out of the picture is probably still a GOOD idea...... At least the fish move from place to place...

the Rhondel- I'll look for some of those... if they work, I'll give you full credit; and maybe some Flounder if they slay 'em
;)

Zigh
><((((*>

·
Registered
159 Posts
Zigh-3' seems a bit long for me......1-2'max. Depends on the 'walk' SOunds like you gave it a great shot down to zero leader...doubt i would have had better luck.......I was just offering my advice cause I sometimes see folks using wire or 80 lb test and I'm catching and they are not....I have as good a time puttin folks on fish as I do catchin myself.

I did earn the 'title' of "mackeral man" on LIP in the past.....lol Guess the fish Gods were looking down on me....lol Hope one bit of what I have to say helps somebody have a better time.......

·
Registered
239 Posts
Heh, that's one thing about this board, we are NEVER short on advice. You start talking about fish you could see, but not catch, and you just might have to explain yerself!!! Maybe even two or three times!
I think it's time for me to sneak on down there. :cool:

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Another nice report Zigh. Enjoy the writing, almost like a Hemingway novel.

Alot of armchair quarterbacks on this site - but with good points and sound advice.

So here's my drop-back pass: It's the old saying (like LouDog said), if you're throwing metal for spanish and you're catching blues, you ain't reeling fast enough.

We've all been there. I buy 2 of every color stingsilver they make when I go spanish fishing. Never know what they'll hit today cause it won't be the same color tomorrow. Maybe that's the allure of spanish fishing - they're so darn frustrating sometimes when they're jumping right in front of you and they won't touch anything you have.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Grandview

Fished Grandview Monday and the fish were really biting. Caught blues, croaker, mullet and trout. All keepers. Caught several flounder, of course too small. Mom had so much fun she ran out of oxygen and I have to go to the car for more. We had a taste test last night with blue, mullet, and trout. Blue was our least favorite. I liked the mullet best and Mom liked the trout. That works out great for the future. She can get the trout. We are not dead yet and didn't get sick and since I have Crohn's disease if anything is bad, it definitely would get to my stomach.

Fished Harrison's Sat and Sun of last week. Loads of flounder being caught. Only saw one keeper. Many croaker and small stuff. It amazes me how many people don't know the size limit on flounder. Mom and I each caught a 14" flounder and threw them back. We were fishing by a man that caught a 13", gut hooked him and brought him over to give to us because he said the fish would die. I thanked him and told him to throw it back. Saw several people keeping small sea bass. Also, zipped over to Willowby and fished the pier Sat am. Caught coraker and some small flounder. The game warden showed up and did his thing. Everyone was legal which was nice to see.

Thrifty - looked for you last weekend on Harrison's. Hoping to get back to Grandview this weekend if work permits. All "h" has broken loose since my mini - vacation of 4 days.

If any of you P & S people pass by two woman, one sitting in a wheelchair, please stop and say hi. I'd love to meet some of you folks.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Sounds like a good time fishing there at Grandview Zigh - thanks for the good report. Being out of state is crappy when I know there is so much fishing fun to be had in VA waters. Your reports and the other here are helping me to stay on top of the action.

Loudog - sup dude! Long time since I got to fish with you last. I remember when you told me about reeling fast for spanish. You have helped me catch a lot of fish with your advice. Thanks for sharing your knowledge with others.

Chest2Head - whats up dude! lol....so your still out there draggin em in too.....thats cool.

See youa ll soon

·
Registered
830 Posts
When picking a reel for Spanish, you need to look at the amount of line that is respooled with each handle turn. That has more to do with lure speed than gear ratio. Two that I have are a
Daiwa Whisker SS Tournament 2600 and a Tica Cambry 4500. Thats what I think anyway.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
catfishmama

I didn't make it out last weekend. Am going out tomorrow for sure. This is the last one before the start of school.

Sounds like you and your mom had a fun time. Take many more of those mini vacations.

They'll just have to learn to get along without you at work.:cool:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts