Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
posted on 25-Jun-2003 10:36:04 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Went seeking a Cobia at the pier this AM at around 6:30... Things were very slow out there for awhile and I found it a challenge to even catch Spot, which I needed for bait. I had trouble even getting Spot bait(worms), as everywhere I tried including, SuperK, 7-11, Zoom's, was OUT OF WORMS!!! That's a drag. No bloodworms or night crawlers. So, I broke down and paid out the teeth for them at the pier, and ofcourse they were small and half dead. Anyway, finally snarred some Spot after learning the technique from some older ladies at the end of the pier. It was all about location. Set my rig out and had a run but no takers. So I turn to get Spot#2 out of the bucket and 'ZZZZIIINNNGGG' goes the old drag on the trusty Penn320GTI, and I think "WOW". See, everyone knows better than to leave Mr. Spot dangling in the water without close supervision or you get the old zing and sling. That is, the fish grabs the Spot and heads under the pier in a moment of shear fish genious. So, I lost my Spot, and my rig, and was reminded of the law of the pier. No unattended, dangled bait. So after more hard work at catching Spot, I threw out 1 rig for Mr. Cobia, and the other I dangle over the side in the same area as before. This time, I hold the rod. And here's the run, there's the fish and it's a Striper of about 26". Fun, so I do it again and again, catching 5 fish and losing several other's. They ranged from 20" to 32" and were right under the pier at 11AM. Weird, I thought. Anyway, also caught some Flounder but the bite was slow. Still no keepers, but the fish were a few inches bigger on average. Also caught Threadfin, which the Stripers wouldn't eat. That was weird too. I saw 2 Cobia pups, 1 free swimming and the other sniffed at my Spot, but was so small he couldn't justify the attack. No Cobia were caught by the time I left at 1:30PM. Anyway, it was hot as heck out there and I'm gonna rest until this weekend's offshore adventure. Keep cool out there. Fish On
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

:D

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
If you are serching for blood worms, try the little market on Beach Road. It's on the way to the pier and they have OK worms at a good price.
PS it's on the left about a mile before the pier.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Wilber, I appreciate the concern, but unfortunately that market isn't open before 6:30AM..... But, they do offer bloodworms for $4.99/dozen when they are open. I just need to be better prepared next time. Fact is, those are the first worms I've bought all season, as I usually like to cast net or jig up my bait. Good Luck when you go!!!!

:D

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Yeah Zigh,
Those guys sleep in, they don't even sell coffee. If you want to castnet bait, go down Dandy Point Road to any of the Marinas, the boat basins are almost always full of little Spot and Bunker. Good luck on the "Big Brown Truck".

1 - 5 of 5 Posts