Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
posted on 20-Jun-2003 3:04:10 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Happy Friday folks!!! It was a pretty good day at the pier for Carp and I. Arrived around 6:15AM and fished 'til about 1PM. The weather held off the entire morning with only the occaisional fog bank and wind shift to complain about. The water was as clear or clearer than yesterday, and the wind was light out of the NW until it switched NNE about 10:30AM. I only saw a handful of boats off the end of the pier today, and the pier itself was not at all busy. Carp and I slayed the Flounder up to 17" this AM, catching well over 30 in total. The good old 3-way was the ticket again, with most fish coming on the naked minnow trailer. The current was pretty light 2day, allowing for easy maneuvering of the rig right up on the pilings. I was jigging for bait when the Spanish curse was finally lifted this AM. I was dunking the Sabiki/ Stingsilver and had a tremendous hit, which I immediately recognized as the Silver Streak. Decked the puppy in short order and found him to be 20 1/2" in length. At last, the curse was broken!!! Then ofcourse I caught another on the same setup, but this time on the Stingsilver, where the previous fish nailed the blue fly on the Sabiki. With the large amount of grass, slinging the Gotcha was a tall order if you wanted weed free retrievals.... Also caught my first Spot of the season on nightcrawler. Carp and I made good use of the live baits we scored by using the fishfinder rig to scout out Mr. Brownsuit. As luck would have it, Carp's first ever Grandview appearance netted him a go with a Cobia that engulfed his live baby Spot. Having handily hooked up, and after establishing that it was a Cobia, I headed down the pier to get a gaff or drop net. Upon my return I see the line under the pier a few yards from Carp, and after a brief moment; SNAP, the fish was gone. Our interests were completely peaked as we now tried like heck to get more live bait, and even accepted live bait donations from the little fella down the pier. Carp is hooked on Grandview!! Maybe next time we'll get to take a closer look at that awesome fish. When we saw him on the surface, our conservative estimate was 35-40lbs. It was a highlight of the season for me, and I'm sure for Carp. We left the pier agreeing we'd be back to stalk Mr. Cobia again soon. Fish On

Zigh:D

·
Registered
337 Posts
Sounds like a great day--other than the break-off. Let carp know we feel for him, and better luck next time.

By the way, did the line break b/c the fish was just too green or did it wrap itself around a piling?

todd

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.