Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
posted on 10-Jun-2003 10:48:09 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hey there folks. Ventured down to the pier again this afternoon to see what I could snare. Arrived around 1pm and fished the incoming tide until 6pm or so. When I first started out the water was somewhat clear and the wind light and variable. By the time I left the water was cloudy green and the wind was kickin' at a steady 10-15 out of the ESE. As in the previous days, I loaded up on the throwback Flounder, catching 17 in between slinging the Gotcha. I did see 4-5 small Spanish caught on straw rigs, but I had no luck with them. I did catch 6 or so Threadfin and a couple of small Trout while jigging a Sabiki with a Stingsilver as weight. I had a live Threadfin out for bait and had 1 mystery run with that setup, but it only resulted in a scaled bait...... There were some decent groups of birds working later in the day but they stayed well out of casting range. I may get out Thursday to give those Spanish another shot and then it's off to the CLT for Spadefish Friday. Fish On

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laughing so hard, the devil gets scared....

Zigh

:D

·
Registered
255 Posts
i take it you fish grandview often from your post. i fish there as ofter as i can. it seems not many people on here fish there. wher on the peir do u usually fish. i try to get a spot on the end when i go, when theres space, thought everyone there usually gives me hard time cuz i dont have heavy\duty tackle for the big ones. i still manage to catch plenty of bigger fish without a problem.

nick

·
Registered
8,390 Posts
Zigh-lucky dog!.I will not be fishing for Spades until the 1st of July.I will be on vacation!So don't catch all the big ones-I need my Spadefish citation,this year! :D

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nick- I try to fish Grandview whenever I can, but during the summer months I try and avoid the crowds. I usually go really early or late and that's the only time I'll fish the end of the pier. I'm there to fish, not for a social engagement, which is the norm for the 'COBIA CREW'. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just not for me. That's also not to say I don't enjoy talking fishing or sharing info with my fellow pier and surf brother's, so please come say 'Hey', to the long haired, orange cap wearing fishing dude, when you're next down. I most often fish 2/3 of the way down on either side depending on wind and tide, but I move around A LOT while hunting Flounder or seeking out those slashing Spanish. Also, by moving around, I seem to find the little deep pockets that hold fish. I try and remember to not over fish these spots, as they often then become a camping spot for other anglers. This varies with my target species, but for now this is the area I will frequent. I have seen plenty of Cobia in years past the entire length of the pier. Some years ago in fact, I watched this woman hook into a 73 lb. Cobia at the head of the pier!!! They are everywhere!! I think one of the most important things is to keep changing your tactics whenever the bite isn't in full force. Don't be afraid to experiment with different baits or colors than everyone else might be using. Be different; Catch fish!! I love Grandview for the space it provides, the oppurtunties it presents, and the folks there are fairly friendly and not so turf oriented. Next time you go, shoot me a message and maybe we can meet up to share our favorite spots?!

Nserch- You've got to love Spadefish.... I just got some of those little red Diachi hooks yesterday and I'm tying up my Flourocarbon leaders too!! I too hope for a citation. I'll be sure and tell his cousin to seek out your bait next month:D

·
Registered
315 Posts
Zigh is there a back way into Grandview you use to avoid the beach traffic, or do you just duel it out with 'em?

Seen or heard of any trout there at night?

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DavB, I like to get off on the Hampton Roads Center Parkway exit when the tunnel is congested. It is usually the very last exit you can take before all the headaches begin. Take it towards Langley and then make a right when the road T's..... Then left back onto Mercury and left onto Foxhill and you'll soon be there. I hope this helps. Oh yea, very few Trout thus far.....
:D

·
Registered
363 Posts
Dave, I leave from Chester and take Rt. 10 and go across the JRB and turn at Foxhill. Only takes me about 45 mins. if I don't have to stop and the traffic is never bad at all. Also if you need any last min. tackle you can stop at Wilcox's and pick it up.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts