Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
posted on 13-May-2003 11:22:30 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Howdy!! I made my first bay trip last evening in hopes of scoring my first flattie of the '03 season. Arrived around 5:15PM due to heavy eastbound 64 traffic. Was bummed to see Vaness(sp.?) bait and tackle closed up and for sale. I always enjoyed chatting with the older gentleman there, and the idea they'd let you snare your own minnows at .75 a dozen. Anyway, I decided I'd get some minnows at the pier after a quick cell call insured they actually had some. There were only a handful of folks fishing and a strong W wind. The water wasn't real pretty, but not so stirred it would prevent a decent Flounder bite. The couple of dewds I asked, told of small Flounder being caught most of the afternoon. I slung out my large spinning rig with the largest minnow I had and a slab of squid, then went to work with the trusty Flounder rod and a 3-way bucktail with green hair and spinner. Things were SLOW for me. I had several nibbles but couldn't snare a fish to save my life. Not even a Croaker. My ego was even more troubled by this 12 year old LITTERBUG who kept catching Croaker after Croaker. Not what I wanted, but still a blow to the ego. I decide around 7PM I'd fish toward the inshore end of the pier having struck out at the far end. Saw a buddy Dennis there and exchanged some tales, and then started working a deep hole I knew of from years past. Lost a bait first pass by and then another. Put the last large minnow I had on and a very tantalizing squid strip.Walked by the hole and then on my return trip I finally felt what I was sure was Mr. Flattie. Waited for a five count, lifted the rod tip slightly and still felt the fish and actually a TUG. Needless to say, I set the hook and was pleasantly surprised at the familiar tugging and undulation of a nice Flounder. We battled briefly and then I saw him surface, and beamed. Now to hoist this fella over the rail. 'THUD', as my first flattie of the day, and season was landed. I broke out the trusty measuring device to get the #'s. He was 22 1/2" long and weighed 4.25 lbs.. I'll take it. I decided to give my fish to Dennis and he was very glad to take it off my hands. In lieu, he said he'd make up some of his straw rigs for me, in observation of the rapidly approaching Spanish season. Seem'd like a swell deal to me.
The pier is looking pretty good and there were lots of fish jumping right at dusk. I suspect Taylor's or Shad, but I suppose they may have been small Trout. I looked over the catches thus far and it seems there are plenty of Flounder being landed, an average # of keepers. I finally broke the ice, now I need a citation fattie Flattie...... What's the wind doing??

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Laughing so hard, the devil gets scared....

Zigh

:D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey Zigh,
I was there today, lots an lots of croaker being caught. I caught plenty and returned them all to the water. Fish were jumping at sundown today too but didn't have a bite.
Loads of baitfish showed up under the lights then the pier closed.
See you there, Jeff

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good to hear from you Jeff... Thanx for the update. I may give the HRBT area a go this evening. Will probably hit the pier again Friday after work. Hope to see you soon.
Fish On,
Zigh
:D

1 - 3 of 3 Posts