Pier and Surf Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
fished va beach area from the 7th to the 10th

8-7..... fished lynnhaven duck in side from 10am-4pm got 8 flounder all undersize from 12-161/2in. also 2 sea bass and 2 small spot. bait was everywhere. i got 121 4in menhadden with one cast of the net!!. i did see a guy get 3 nice sheepshead with live snadfleas under the bridge. i looked but couldnt find any.went to rudee inlet that night from 9-12 and got 2 more undersize flounder. did see a few nice croaker cought on squid. i saw a boat get a HUGE red drifting right outside the bridge.

8-8..... fished the am from 9-2pm on the duck in side again. 2 more undersize flatties 13,15in. the same guy had 3 nice sheepshead this time again....on sandfleas.fished lynnhaven pier that night from 10-3 and got 20 small croaker. also got 5 whiting. i did see something chasing bait under the lights. i tried everything i had and did get some hard hits on a chrome gotcha plug but no fish decked. they were getting some HUGE crabs under the lights too.

8-9..... fished the boat ramp side from 10am-3pm. got 1 more undersize flounder. i hooked what i thought was bottom and to my surprise it started pulling back. the guy next to me asked if i had a fish and i told him i think so. just then i see the flounder of my life at my feet. i swear to god this thing was every bit of 24 in long!!!! got it in the surf then..... out comes the hook. it flopps a few times then comes a wave and it gets washed up and swims away!!!! son of a b*$#h!!!! oh well. i also got a few more small spot on bloodworms. went out of rudee inlet on the night fishing boat.. not much to brag about. plenty of croaker but not much size. average size was 10-12 in.

8-10..... went back to lynnhaven boat ramp side from 12-3pm and got 1 15 in croaker and 1 12 in flounder. action was steady but i only saw 1 keeper flounder caught. that was right under the bridge by a kid with a finger mullett.

was anyone out there when i was??? i didnt see anyone from the pictures. i did get pulled out of the water by a cop. he told me you couldnt wade fish under the bridge. i was only in water to my knees.oh well. also did see 3 idiots yelling obsenities to boaters who were comming to close to shore. or so they said. what was really nice about that is the fact that they had there little kids with them and they are screaming like mad men. there the ones who give us bad names.i also saw the police give a boater a ticket for dropping anchor under the bridge right in the middle of the channel.
well all in all it was not a bad trip. of course the one that got away was the only keeper. i did have fun and look forward to doing it again in a few weeks. hopefully there will be some keepers then.

:D :D

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Nice Report! Too bad about the nice flattie though. At least you got into some fish and didn't get skunked!:)

·
Registered
291 Posts
not a bad trip,tons of flatties. Im gonna be down from thursday- sunday the next week. I still havent pulled out a keeper flounder from lesner so thats definantly on the to do list along with catch and relase a striper.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Ditto on the report!

Man you put the time in didn’t ya! Keep it up and you’ll get’em!

If it was me, I would’a done a belly flop on that flattie to keep him on the beach!:p

FISH ON!

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Yeah I feel ya hic-lock! I think I would have done the same thing:D

·
Registered
77 Posts
Thanks...

...for your valuable input and reports; I live closeby the Lesner Bridge/Rudee Inlet, and those are a couple of quick hotspots I try to get to often.

Really appreciate it,

Doad.:)

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys. i cant wait till next time. as for what i got the flounder on i got all but two off live menhadden i got from the inlet. the other two were off little pieces of clam i was using trying to get some sheepshead. the other keepers i saw were taken with flounder belly.

oh.. btw i also got what i think were permit? with my cast net. i was standing in the surf waiting to see a school of bait when i saw them swim by. i gave it a throw and got 14 little 4in fishies.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
could have been... i dunno. ive never caught them there before. i know when i lived in fl. we got permit in shallow water like that.

·
Registered
515 Posts
We've got them before too in castnets. I think they're baby pompano. Sometimes, even with no wave action, they are right on the surf looking for tidbits to eat.

I was at Willoughby Beach on Sunday for a hour or two, and threw the castnet a few times at some schooling mullet. Didn't get any of them, but I did net a 13" flounder.

Another tagged one on the books.

THROW MORE / MOST / SOME / ANY / MAYBE A FEW BACK

Jake Ace

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
yeah i know... but i guess thats thw way it goes. too bad all the others were undersize though. i wouldve liked to have some flounder fillets in my freezer. oh well.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
there is a park and pay lot accross from the duck inn. it was 4.oo for all day for me. that was on fri. i went there thur and didnt pay anything. so... i think they make you pay on the weekend. i parked in the gravel lot next to the duck inn.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts