Pier and Surf Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The plan was to target surf flounder. I decided to hit the national park as it's open 24/7, and I wanted to be there at sunrise in case there was an early bite. Arrived about half hour before sunrise with minimal gear -- a single rod, gulp, jigheads, metals (in case spanish mackerel or bonito showed up, plus something unusual to try for flounder.

I found the surf calm, 1-2 ft as predicted on magicseaweed.com. It was just after low tide. Wind was just strong enough to keep the bugs away, and the water was clean--perfect conditions. There was a ton of bait popping out of the water with snapper blues on the prowl. Hoping for spanish, I threw a Kastmaster XL until about half an hour after the sun came up. Had a good bite with some decent pull but he came off coming though the beach break, guessing a cocktail blue. Got a snapper up on the beach to beat the skunk.

Switched to a single 4" white swimming mullet on a 1/4-oz jighead and got a short flounder on the first cast. Went through a few more shorts until I finally got a keeper at 18":

Bird Asphalt Phasianidae Road surface Galliformes

I had walked a ways and wanted to keep fishing so I tied my 20' stringer to my backpack with the fish pitching up and down the beach with the wave action like a dog on a leash. Sometimes he'd wrap around my legs or nip at my ankles. Not the best solution but I don't have a cooler bag (yet) and it kept him fresh. The action slowed so I took my "dog" back to the car to rest in my cooler. Had a sandwich and regrouped.

I'd noticed a few sand fleas on the beach so I switched to a pumpkinseed color gulp and started getting shorts again. The cool thing was when the flounder would attack my gulp the nearby bait would scatter and jump out of the water! A nice clue that the hit was coming.

Again the bite slowed so I tried something I'd been thinking about for a while - using a spinnerbait in the surf. I tied on a half-ounce single blade model and added gulp. First cast got me another short, and a few casts later got another keeper:

Road surface Asphalt Plant Grass Groundcover

Flounder are so cool. It's amazing how their color changes with the seafloor and time of day. While stringing this fish, albies started breaking tight to shore. I retied with metal but they didn't show again. It was approaching my hard stop of noon so I called it. On the way back to the car some nice folks were impressed with my catch and offered beer and barbecue but sadly I had to get home.

For me there's a lot of overhead with a trip to Assateague. It's waking up at 3am and five plus hours of driving out and back, so I'm really fortunate that things worked out. Can't always get conditions like this, but I still can't wait to go back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Great report. Looks like thinking out of the box worked for the spinnerbait. I would love to spent some time down there fishing but like you it woul be 5 plus hours of road time for a day's fishing. Hard for me to commit to that these days.

·
Registered
3,832 Posts
Nice post! Good job switching gears with lures. Great pics, too!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts